We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

How do you (if you do at all) store your original zine manuscripts?

Well, it is an understatement to say that i amd very disorganized (as an excuse, I'll site my psych prof, as he says it is typical of creative right brain people...ha!) so anyways, well, I find that i just lose or neglect most of the original copies of zine flats that i work on, after having them scanned...

so i just wanted to know, do you guys save the original flats? or what do you do with them? or do you just save the scanned /pdf files? my room is already filled with bozes and drawers for crafts and unfinished projects, plus tons ot notebooks , journals and sketchbooks among other things...

Views: 14

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I only made three issues of Driving Blind, so I have those flats in a Hello Kitty folder which I keep in a drawer next to the computer.
Shoeboxes and ziploc bags - it may not be too practical, but it's very simple and cheap. Sheet protectors tend to be expensive for us teenage zinesters without a real job.
I just dump them in a box and deal with thme later when necessary.
same here... well, im not a teen anymore, a rather poor college student. ha! i got some sheet protectors from old schoolreports and projects though.

Sophie Mann said:
Shoeboxes and ziploc bags - it may not be too practical, but it's very simple and cheap. Sheet protectors tend to be expensive for us teenage zinesters without a real job.
I keep mine in a folder, in the file drawer, with a bright piece of paper between issue.
the old originals are very fragile now and at the limits of how long a gluestick was ever meant to hold anything together. do you at least have copies of Coffeewrite? i used to write for my high school newspaper and lit mag, the basis of all my cut'n'paste skills, but i don't think i have any copies anywhere.

I Am said:
i envy you! now that i think about it, i wish i had saved copies of the first zine I ever wrote for : Coffeewrite (which was the official zine of my high school, that the admin people kept on censoring for sexual or gay or revolting or even slight political undertones...)
i think i have a few copies back home--which is like halfway across the globe: literally! (they're 13 hours ahead right now because of the whole time change thing that happens here in america), which is another reason i need to get home... but yeah. i used to have a few copies of every zine, plus our literary folio, which is like this tiny book that we put together by then end of the year... bah i should have thought about these things better and kept those safely... the fact that my mom throws away everything that's just laying around in my cluttered room back home scared me :O

una crow said:
the old originals are very fragile now and at the limits of how long a gluestick was ever meant to hold anything together. do you at least have copies of Coffeewrite? i used to write for my high school newspaper and lit mag, the basis of all my cut'n'paste skills, but i don't think i have any copies anywhere.

I Am said:
i envy you! now that i think about it, i wish i had saved copies of the first zine I ever wrote for : Coffeewrite (which was the official zine of my high school, that the admin people kept on censoring for sexual or gay or revolting or even slight political undertones...)
*hug* for the homesick. it sucks. and, yeesh, i hope your mom didn't throw them away!

I Am said:
i think i have a few copies back home--which is like halfway across the globe: literally! (they're 13 hours ahead right now because of the whole time change thing that happens here in america), which is another reason i need to get home... but yeah. i used to have a few copies of every zine, plus our literary folio, which is like this tiny book that we put together by then end of the year... bah i should have thought about these things better and kept those safely... the fact that my mom throws away everything that's just laying around in my cluttered room back home scared me :O

My "filing system" is a bunch of big envelopes with cardboard things I cut up and wrote on as dividers. All my old zines are in storage somewhere, probably in a big envelope, and the ones I'm still printing are in a smaller envelope here.
I pretty much live out of big, used envelopes.
I keep mine in a drawer. Someone found them and was upset by things I had written (about past relationships) and so I actually went threw my old zines & threw a lot of the originals away. Stupid me. This was right after my first baby was born so I blame hormones for that! But I do have a personal copy of all (but one, I think) so I do still have them available to me! Those copies are in a folder in a separate drawer. As for recent zines / zines I still distribute, I keep those near my copy machine for easy access!!
I have all the originals saved and in folders. they are the ONLY thing I have organized. ha.
I keep my masters in file folders in a filing cabinet. I also keep two copies of each issue, one for each of my boys when they grow up.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

 

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service