We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I just got this e-mail:

"Dear Ramsey

I am currently completing a book called FANZINES (Thames & Hudson) and have included the cover of List Goodbye, Baltimore, no. 12 (fall 2008), fully credited in the book.

My book looks at the history of fanzines in a general overview of UK and USA-based self-publishing. As a good example of an interesting contemporary personal zine it would be remiss not to include it in any history of fanzines. The book is due out in September and I hope this will establish the importance of this form of self-publishing.

I do hope this is okay.

Yours sincerely,

Prof Teal Triggs
University of the Arts London
"

Poor form right? I know a lot of zinesters don't care about their things being reproduced or used, and I actually don't mind at all for it to be included, but it seems like asking ahead of time would be the right thing to do, right? Especially for a book?

Views: 1668

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Joe's gone?  (I have to say he WAS cutting into my enjoyment of this site). 

It really wasn't fair to have people here trying to defend why you want copyright to apply to your own work. 

I saw the book at Barnes & Noble, I flipped threw it a few time, it is a really cool book I have to say. My Mother offered to buy it for me, but I declined, it really didn't feel right to me.

Um, its beyond disrespectful... it's illegal. Your zine is under copyright protection from the moment you make it. I know there are plenty of zinesters out there than don't give a flip about copyrights -- I've had artwork stolen; I guess we all have -- Prof Triggs should know better.

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

SYNDICATED ZINE REVIEWS

ZINE-O-MATIC

THE WORD DISTRIBUTION

Download and Print WMZ Fliers

© 2016   Created by Krissy Ponyboy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service