We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I just got this e-mail:

"Dear Ramsey

I am currently completing a book called FANZINES (Thames & Hudson) and have included the cover of List Goodbye, Baltimore, no. 12 (fall 2008), fully credited in the book.

My book looks at the history of fanzines in a general overview of UK and USA-based self-publishing. As a good example of an interesting contemporary personal zine it would be remiss not to include it in any history of fanzines. The book is due out in September and I hope this will establish the importance of this form of self-publishing.

I do hope this is okay.

Yours sincerely,

Prof Teal Triggs
University of the Arts London
"

Poor form right? I know a lot of zinesters don't care about their things being reproduced or used, and I actually don't mind at all for it to be included, but it seems like asking ahead of time would be the right thing to do, right? Especially for a book?

Views: 1095

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yup, sounds like they're both on the same page. That's really disappointing.
Given the responses many have received, I doubt Ms. Triggs nor the publisher care much about how a bunch a zine makers feel, and I'm sure they feel they can excuse their poor form in handling the "research" and "obtaining permissions" for this book because she's a professor and they're a publisher.

Anyhow, here is the Amazon link to the book. While I doubt many average people will read the well-written articles people like Amber had written (which is a shame), a lot of people do read reviews on Amazon. I guess it can be a way to tell your story about this whole debacle and how you feel about it so the general public will see it.

I don't think you can start reviewing until the book comes out, but I do believe you can start forum discussions.
In 1977 I was publishing a punk fanzine called Septic Ears. One day I got an invite to a book launch in London, so I trolled up there as pleased as anything to be invited to a real world punk book launch (I was fifteen, give me credit). When I got there I was amazed to discover that the book being launched contained a whole bunch of stuff from my fanzine. In fact the whole book was made up of stuff they'd just stolen from punk zines - and they never even mentioned the fact to us, not then, not ever. So we just stole as many copies as we could carry, drank all the alcohol and did a runner.
Some things never change - there are always careers to be made in the space.
Did anyone go to the launch this week?
Nichole said:
I don't think you can start reviewing until the book comes out, but I do believe you can start forum discussions.

*off to amazon uk to start a discussion complete with relivant links*
I've started a discussion here

I've seen negative reviews attacking rip-offs on boxsets & cd reissues, before they're actually up for sale before now so I think it's possible to review pre-release items (at least on amazon uk)
"Everything’s gone a bit zine-y here in London this week thanks to Teal Triggs’ new book ‘Fanzines’. ... The book was launched last night with a pop-up reading room at LCC featuring fanzines submiited by their makers."

http://magculture.com/blog/?p=8067
Huh, I haven't been here for a few months and missed this discussion. I was contacted by Teal beforehand asking for a high quality cover scan of my zine, which I was stoked about, and I sent it in and had a little more correspondence... this was quite a while ago. It sounded like a cool project... As far as I know, it's completely legal to use the cover of a record or book or zine when reviewing or writing about it. I've always used them in writing zine reviews and on ZineWiki without asking the authors for permission. I'm surprised this bothers anyone. But then, I'm always surprised when people publish something, release it out into the world, and then want to control what happens to it.
Just wanted to let everyone know that shortly following my first email to Triggs, in which I got no response, I sent her a second email letting her know that I would like a comp copy of the book if possible. She responded to that one asking for my address, saying she would pass it along to the publisher.

Much to my surprise, it arrived in the mail today. It's a big, pretty art book. Almost the entirety of the book is images of our zines. Triggs wrote an essay for the beginning of each chapter, which are followed by 20 pages of images of zines.

Here's my page!

That's my zine, the purple one on the bottom right. But where's the free copy I've been demanding? Jeez.
maybe it's on the way. i was truly surprised it showed up today.

Maranda Elizabeth said:
That's my zine, the purple one on the bottom right. But where's the free copy I've been demanding? Jeez.
If my copy doesn't show up by the end of the week, I think I'll send her another email. Now I'm curious as to who else may have a received a copy. My sister surely deserves at least ten for all the work she's done on this damn thing, ha.

ramsey everydaypants said:
maybe it's on the way. i was truly surprised it showed up today.

Maranda Elizabeth said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service