We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

How did you come to designing the front cover of your zines?? DISCUSS

Hello everybody

Nice to meet you all.Im Aaron.Recently i've had this curiousity tugging at my head regarding how you other zinesters on wemakezines went about designing the front covers of your zines.Im very intrigued and i think it would be fun for other members of the site to also gain an insight as toother members different approaches when designing their covers. Im very intrigued in hearing the morals,ideas and attitudes you wanted to represent on the cover of your zine or how the images on the cover embodies the spirit of your zine and so on.Also if you explain how you came to naming your own individual zines would be kinda cool as well.

So yeah DISCUSS fellow zinesters.

:)

Thanks

Tags: ''Designing, Art, Covers, Creating, DIY, Ideas, Zinemaking, Zines

Views: 66

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Generally, I will go through my camera and find a photo that interests me and use it as a refrence for sketches then after I'm satisfied I'll draw on the final Master Copy and ink it in with markers and gell pens. 

To be honest, sometimes the cover and layout comes to me before all the words do, especially the cover. It sets a theme in my head. Whether that theme is translated to other people when they read the zine or not is irrelevant, it makes sense to me. I usually work in high contrast cut and paste so sometimes my covers are what can bring a little color to the zine and sometimes I use the high contrast imagery.

Most of my covers have been drawings by friends.  One was a photograph by me.  The most recent was very plain and just a font i really liked. 

For the new compilation zine i am working on about sports/fitness,  i am most likely going to ask a friend or my husband to draw it.  I have a vision in my head, but i am no artist.

My zines are usually autobiographical and cartoony, so I usually draw a picture of myself for the cover.

In order from first zine on: individually pressed labels from an analog labelmaker, individually handwritten titles with different mini-cartoons (drawn by me) glued on every cover, just plain text, stock photography, and a hand-colored xeroxed cartoon (also drawn by me). Basically it goes from super-intricate to more lazy as time goes by, heh. Although I like the hand-colored covers, it's a good way to get a little bit of color into your cover without having to pay for expensive color copies.

I named my current zine based on a Philip K. Dick short story. Not a lot of thought went into the title, I admit, but since the first issue was done as a split with a friend, and I hadn't thought up a title in advance, I went with the first thing I could think of. I'll never change it because I want a shot at hitting a double-digit issue of my zine someday.

this is a great subject to discuss ;)

and
Erica S. said: 

I named my current zine based on a Philip K. Dick short story. Not a lot of thought went into the title, I admit, but since the first issue was done as a split with a friend, and I hadn't thought up a title in advance, I went with the first thing I could think of. I'll never change it because I want a shot at hitting a double-digit issue of my zine someday.

i named my current zine based on a Ray Bradbury short story. Not alot of thought went into the title, I admit, and I went with the first thing i could think of. I'll never change it because i want a shot at hitting a double-digit issue of my zine someday. yeah my story is pretty similar to Erica S's

hmm i often regret hastily naming it and hastily throwing the front covers together, cause i do a music fanzine where i do alotta interviews with others, so i am kinda representing them as well... and jeez, i worry i'm making them look bad!!!

yes and i've accepted that i'm stuck with my zine's title, my previous issues, and i've accepted that the look/covers of my zines may put people off. but i've also embraced that; i am doing something different to what other music zines do, i've given it a completely irrellevent title, i've put some completely werid (and possibly confusing) images on the covers. and by doing that, i believe i'm challenging people to think about how a music zine should be.

Nothing wrong with pushing the bar in terms of peoples pre-concieved perspectives of how things should be the best pieces of art disregard the notion altogether.

kitty magic said:

this is a great subject to discuss ;)

and
Erica S. said: 

i named my current zine based on a Ray Bradbury short story. Not alot of thought went into the title, I admit, and I went with the first thing i could think of. I'll never change it because i want a shot at hitting a double-digit issue of my zine someday. yeah my story is pretty similar to Erica S's

hmm i often regret hastily naming it and hastily throwing the front covers together, cause i do a music fanzine where i do alotta interviews with others, so i am kinda representing them as well... and jeez, i worry i'm making them look bad!!!

yes and i've accepted that i'm stuck with my zine's title, my previous issues, and i've accepted that the look/covers of my zines may put people off. but i've also embraced that; i am doing something different to what other music zines do, i've given it a completely irrellevent title, i've put some completely werid (and possibly confusing) images on the covers. and by doing that, i believe i'm challenging people to think about how a music zine should be.

i made my zine cover with ms paint and word, but i'm dissapointed i didnt get the cover i wanted.

i would have rather had a hand drawn cover of the image i wanted rather than a collage of clip art like i have now.

when i put out a call for submissions for my zine cover (before i found wemakezines), i got a poor response, or people who wanted to be paid big money for their illustrations, not really understanding the concept of a zine.

i think i might re-release a copy of "herbal healing for piercings and tattoos" at another time with better graphics depending on how well-recieved the zine becomes.

i start with fonts.... i look at title fonts to see what my zine title would look like and pick the best. 

then with images, i think of adjectives/phrases/concepts and type those word into Google Images, if i dont get anywhere with that then i just look at pictures and try to collage them together.

with my zine ChildLike Empress the first ever issue i put a still from The Neverending Story because well why not. the next issue i put two random images together using the word association tactic i used above. with childlike empress #1.5 i used an image of downtown richmond va, because i had made it just in time for the richmond zine fest 2009 that year.

with the systris reader i found a stock image of a blank notebook and pen and put title text over it. with Annus Horribilis i took several stock photos and montaged a bunch of images related to the topic (misfortune)

and with my "podosphere" zine i think i just slapped together a couple of images having to do with podcasting on the cover and filled the rest with text. (not my best zine, in fact i should redo it all!)

with my upcoming issue of childlike empress i am thinking BIG...so i have to find an image that pops and makes people want to read it. because i'm going to put my best writing and effort into this one. but like others on this thread, it all starts with the cover first!

Hi there. This is a kool question. The best way is cut n paste. And to think of where u want the direction your zine or issue is going. Having a hardcover for the cover win strong points too. Meaning u value in how you present your zine to others. Plus it really looks good with a hardcover. seriously. even though the rest of it inside is just photosated thrash or toilet paper...

Other than cut n paste using Blu-Tack - so that u can re-adjust easily ur words and imagery on ur cover,
Word 2007 or word 2010 already does great page layouting and cover making if ur not trained in publishing software like freehand or indesign. The current trend i see nowadays is zinesters tend to have a clean, minimalist look for thier covers. With a strong yet simple artistic typography headline and  less imagery. Back in the 90's and 00's, imagery was the main strongpoint of each zine.

Have a look at my page and see how i went from cut n paste to digital wise and even mixing it both ways.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service