We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

like really new to the zine scene, I am a little overwhelmed on where to begin. Does any one have any suggestions? I like art, poetry, a bit of fashion, girly fun stuff. I am 22, a NYC girl but currently reside in Orlando w/ my long time artist beau. I am a blogger, but I really want to do zines, there is something special about holding something someone created in hand.
I'd really appreciate any suggestions or references. Thanks a bunch <3

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where to begin in what regard? With reading or making? In terms of buying, hunt down some good distros (seeing as you're in the States, maybe someone else can point you in the right direction), or see if you can find some zines that you like via this site (check out the "New Issue Announcement Thread") in the forums.

In terms of making a zine, well, you sit down with paper, scissors, glue and a pen and get busy! Though if you're completely new to the scene and haven't yet read any zines then totally get yourself a bunch and use them to get inspired. All the smaller details for making zines you can probably find via the forums on here, or google, or pick up a copy of something like Stolen Sharpie for tips. Or if there's something particular you're stuck with, I'm sure people here can help out!

There's also groups on here, you can join the ones that interest you (there's a fashion zine group for example, even poetry and art zine groups), from there you might find more on what you're after.

Welcome btw! Hope that was of at least some help!
Hi Jayde.

My name is Parv and I am from the UK. I'm studying architecture here. Anyway, I'm doing an experiment in zines and free space. My zines are called scream. The name scream is made up of 6 zines: sublime zine, creative zine, romantic zine, expressionist zine, activist zine and moving zine. The idea behind these zines is that I send them to people interested in creativity. They are blank zines. Nothing inside, ready for you to channel your own ideas and artwork into and then you can pass them onto the next person should you wish. If you send the zine back to me, having photocopied it for yourself, I will be exhibiting the work in an exhibition in a gallery in Manchester. If you're interested then email me at scream.lab@live.co.uk. It would be great to get people from another country involved in this! I guess thats part of the romanticism about zines also... you can engage with so many people from different places and see what they're about.

If anyone else reads this post then please email me if you're interested! Thanks so much and welcome to the zine scene Jayde.

Parv
It was helpful. Thanks, at first glance there is so much to do on this site I kinda didnt know which direction to go. Like I want to start a zine, but need to read a whole lot more before I even want to start trying to make one. I will check out other groups and New Issue Announcements. ;)

Tee Rex said:
Where to begin in what regard? With reading or making? In terms of buying, hunt down some good distros (seeing as you're in the States, maybe someone else can point you in the right direction), or see if you can find some zines that you like via this site (check out the "New Issue Announcement Thread") in the forums.

In terms of making a zine, well, you sit down with paper, scissors, glue and a pen and get busy! Though if you're completely new to the scene and haven't yet read any zines then totally get yourself a bunch and use them to get inspired. All the smaller details for making zines you can probably find via the forums on here, or google, or pick up a copy of something like Stolen Sharpie for tips. Or if there's something particular you're stuck with, I'm sure people here can help out!

There's also groups on here, you can join the ones that interest you (there's a fashion zine group for example, even poetry and art zine groups), from there you might find more on what you're after.

Welcome btw! Hope that was of at least some help!
That sounds fabulous actually ;)

Scream Labs said:
Hi Jayde.

My name is Parv and I am from the UK. I'm studying architecture here. Anyway, I'm doing an experiment in zines and free space. My zines are called scream. The name scream is made up of 6 zines: sublime zine, creative zine, romantic zine, expressionist zine, activist zine and moving zine. The idea behind these zines is that I send them to people interested in creativity. They are blank zines. Nothing inside, ready for you to channel your own ideas and artwork into and then you can pass them onto the next person should you wish. If you send the zine back to me, having photocopied it for yourself, I will be exhibiting the work in an exhibition in a gallery in Manchester. If you're interested then email me at scream.lab@live.co.uk. It would be great to get people from another country involved in this! I guess thats part of the romanticism about zines also... you can engage with so many people from different places and see what they're about.

If anyone else reads this post then please email me if you're interested! Thanks so much and welcome to the zine scene Jayde.

Parv

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service