We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Help with formatting and page order for printing/photocopying

I'm in the process of making my first zine. I have all of the content
done - 20 individual pages, 5 signatures, I believe it's called. I'm
making a quarter page sized zine.

Now, I have each page cut out as a loose ~4.25in x 5.5in page, so that I could rearrange the order and work on the layout.

The trouble here is figuring out how to position things for photocopying
and printing. I thought I had the gist of the ordering the first time,
for both the back and front sides of each paper to be copied. I thought I
had all of the pages in the right orders so that when I compiled them
together it would be in the correct order and working nicely.

I've printed my zine out, in what I thought to be the right formatting
to work nicely, twice now, and both times I've failed. I thought I
should ask for some help before I end up printing more paper that won't
end up being used for this zine.

Can anyone help a newbie out?

Edit: I think I've figured it out... Let's see if third time really is a charm!

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

if this helps, sometimes it's useful to fold up a practice one and write numbers/something on it (eg page#s), then unfold and you can see how/where the text needs to go for the one you're printing. or what I try, print out the text, cut up the paragraphs/words etc then fold the page and stick the cutout text onto it. do this for the whole thing. then print that (unfolded) - this is then the master for the photocopying, then photocopy how ever many copies I want and fold them up. keep the master unfolded in case you want to copy more (I put into a folder with plastic sleeves)
i do what kath says, and even everything gets right! even hold fold up versions for 8 / 16 / 32 pages for future references. hope you release your zine and trade with us! humm, even can send to you, skylar, a copy of one of my folded zines cutted and one uncuted, to you see how I do. cheers, Roberto Hollanda
I appreciate it guys! I ended up just staying up late last night until I figured it out. I pretty much had my previous attempts correct, except a couple of pages were mirrored of how they should have been. Pays to double check, I guess!

But I've made a little legend for myself in the future now, and I have my first completed zine, and pages to be photocopied to make more!
Yeah, it would just be:

Page 1 front:
20 1
18 3

Page 1 back:
2 19
4 17

Page 2 front:
16 5
14 7

Page 2 back:
6 15
8 13

Page 3 front:
12 9

Page 3 back:
10 11

Which is why divisors of 8 are better for quarter-paged zines. That way you're not wasting any paper.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service