We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

To combat all the negativity going on elsewhere on this site, can we devote this discussion to calling people out for being awesome? No shit talking, no belittling someone else's comment, no intentionally inflammatory statements, just giving people the credit they deserve. And if someone praises someone you dislike, just let it be. Think whatever you want, scream into your pillow, write a little note in your hate journal, whatever, just don't start anything here. OK? I'll start:

Krissy is amazing not only for starting this site but because her zines are amazing, too. When I was in Kuala Lumpur I saw an issue of "Figure 8" stuck up on the wall of this really cool punk studio space. It was below a Rambo tour poster, opposite the wall with an original pressing of Joy Division's "An Ideal for Living". How's that for cred? And she's totally sweet and friendly in person.

Next...

Views: 99

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i'd like to toss in a zine-posi shout-out to laura-marie of "functionally ill". her zines are often short and punchy, honest and touching, but most of all she's a totally wonderful human being, very friendly and welcoming and non-judgmental, and she's a big supporter of the zine community.
just off the top of my head............culture slut, telegraph maam, your pretty face is going straight to hell, spat back, drink the sunshine. etc :D

oh and if anyone knows where to get the nick drake zine pleeeeeease tell me :) im going to this........ http://www.warwickartscentre.co.uk/events/music/way-to-blue-the-son...

ive loved nick drake for about 10 years now so id be so chuft if i could have a nick drake zine :P
Oh wow. What an incredible thread idea!

I have SO much love for SO many people in the zine world and I constantly feel so honoured to 'work with' so many wonderful people.

Off the top of my head, people I freaking love are:

- Amber of Culture Slut/Fight Boredom: Along with Maranda made me fall in love with feministy perzines and so I can probably credit her (and Maranda) with getting me interested in feminism... which now consumes seeerious chunks of my time. She's so lovely and her zines are always perzine perfection. In my eyes she's made being a zinester a lifestyle and it looks pretty damn glorious from where I'm sitting. I don't even mind handing over ridiculous amounts of money for ridiculous numbers of her zines when I restock because I know that whenever I'm tabling and get asked "so what do you recommend? what's your favourite?" I'll always point to hers first :)

- Maranda of Telegram Ma'am: Started reading the same time as Culture Slut. Again, I can only describe her zines as perzine perfection. Also absolutely lovely and in some of her recent issues is easily writing currently my favourite stuff about mental health issues.

- Star Blue: She seems to be on the down-low in the zine scene at the moment but Edgy was truly an incredible zine.

- All the people that don't write zines but who order

- Alex Wrekk: I can't elaborate on other lovely things people have said <3

- Susie and Time at Enthusiasm zine: What zineing should be about. Things you love. So refreshing to read 100% happy zines. One of my favourite zines in the UK (sort of!) at the moment.

- Candace: Giantess is one of my all time favourite perzines. She also just sends the most incredible packages ever stuffed full of endless zines she's written. She just writes what I want/need to read.

- Bri: So she's often a little slow with orders, but when you write perzines that wonderful I think all can quickly be forgiven. Pleasure to stock and I'm just sad I didn't get around to stocking her sooner!

- LB: Truckface is just incrediable along with her work at Stranger Danger Distro.

- Ciara: Paper Trail was easily my biggest inspiration as a distro. She inspires me strive to make marching stars bigger and better. Enough said. (Oh, and Love Letters To Monsters is full of perzine love)

- Brighton Zine Collective: What they've created from nothing is so impressive and inspiring. Regular events and a yearly zine fest spanning several days and multiple events just goes to show what a little time and dedication can create. I think the UK zine scene should be truly proud of them.

- Everyone who just sends me their zines after I've already stocked previous issues. They know who they are. I love them for that. Unexpected mail is amazing.

- One last deceleration of love, of people who often go unmentioned in the zine world: I love love love love everyone who orders zines from me, from other distros, from zinesters, but who don't write one themselves. They help keep this world alive. I was one for the longest time and often felt as though I was crashing someone else's party. But I do love and appreciate every single one them. The occasional email I receive from these relatively anonymous people thanking me for running my distro just makes me think "don't they realise I do it for them? because they buy them? Of course I appreciate the thanks, but they'll never appreciate how grateful I am to them!"

God I love the zine world <3
Thank you, Hannah & Sarah ~ I adore you both!!

I don't want to forget anyone because there are so many of you zinesters who inspire me ....

~ Dave! You're awesome. Your writing is awesome & I miss talking to you. I hope you've been well :)

~ Laura-Marie - Thank you for always sending me a new issue of your zine. Thank you for keeping it real and sharing what you do!! Hannah, Jolie, Erin H, Melissa Ann, Sarah R.,Niku, Rebekah B., Katie H., Meg F.(I miss my Philly girls!!) - All of you have inspired me and continue to bring wonderful things to the zine community. Celia P. (I Dreamed I Was Assertive) - Your zines make me swoon! I love working with you. Bettie (UK) Anatomical Heart is a favorite of mine. Candace in Australia (Giantess), you're always awesome, even when I totally suck with correspondence :) Fawne (Four Star Daydream) my fellow GA zinester, you are an amazing artist & writer, 2010 if your year! Nicci (Fat Girl zine) I have been working & writing to you for over five years and it has been my pleasure to get to know you. Your zines are a beautiful way to spread the word about loving your body, thank you ...
thank you zac [big hugs]
and i love zacs zines :)
I'm a reader and occasional binge buyer, and I'm surprised to see KL mentioned here - why did Malaysia get interesting AFTER I left the country?! :P

Niku Arbabi, the Mixtape crew, and Amy of Pikaland make awesome zines that I love and adore. I got my first ever zine pack yonks ago from Microcosm and now I'm hooked. Also Paper Trail and Etsy are responsible for making me nearly broke with zinage.

But yay, zines are cool :)
- Brighton Zine Collective: What they've created from nothing is so impressive and inspiring. Regular events and a yearly zine fest spanning several days and multiple events just goes to show what a little time and dedication can create. I think the UK zine scene should be truly proud of them.

Thanks Lizzie! It's amazing what you can create with nowt but a ball of string and 5 old kippers.
Wow, there has been negativity on this site and I missed it? Point me to it, I love a bit of vicarious name calling!!!!!

Actually, I'm sorry to hear that. I was just thinking today what a great bunch of people there are here. I've issued two calls for submissions for my zines here, and I've had the most generous submissions by all sorts of people from all over the place. It really amazes me how willing people are to share.

Oh, and I thought I'd add a gratuitous comment about Malaysia too, since there seems to be a subtext here - we visited there a few years ago and my kids want to go back to Genting Highlands. Not really sure why that was the highlight of their trip, but that's the place they talk about.
Well, since I don't really know any of you yet: thank you all for being awesome everyone who contributes to the scene, who keeps things going, everyone who makes zines, everyone who reads them, and everyone who gives us something to write about.

You are my people. ♥
Ohhh, my sentiments exactly. Right on, Ren. That's what I always think to myself at zine fests, in just those words: These are my people. And that is a beautiful feeling and one I'm thankful to have.

Love yas all.

Ren! said:
Well, since I don't really know any of you yet: thank you all for being awesome everyone who contributes to the scene, who keeps things going, everyone who makes zines, everyone who reads them, and everyone who gives us something to write about.
You are my people. ♥

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service