We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

To combat all the negativity going on elsewhere on this site, can we devote this discussion to calling people out for being awesome? No shit talking, no belittling someone else's comment, no intentionally inflammatory statements, just giving people the credit they deserve. And if someone praises someone you dislike, just let it be. Think whatever you want, scream into your pillow, write a little note in your hate journal, whatever, just don't start anything here. OK? I'll start:

Krissy is amazing not only for starting this site but because her zines are amazing, too. When I was in Kuala Lumpur I saw an issue of "Figure 8" stuck up on the wall of this really cool punk studio space. It was below a Rambo tour poster, opposite the wall with an original pressing of Joy Division's "An Ideal for Living". How's that for cred? And she's totally sweet and friendly in person.

Next...

Views: 108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ahhhhh. What a wonderful forum subject line. You just made me feel so better, Dave. I'm glad you're here. Thanks for the nice words about me. That is so nutty about my zine being there. I loved your letter, btw! <3
p.s. Dave's zines are excellent in all ways. I highly recommend them.
Really loved Jolie Noggle's zine - I think it was #13 that I ordered? She has a very punchy, natural and organic way of writing. Streams of consciousness, minus the shit that doesn't make sense. Love it.
Thanks, Krissy, though modesty forces me to admit my zines are only excellent in two or three ways. Anyway, "Xtra Tuf" is consistently good and if any of you are lucky enough to know Moe you know what an amazing and creative person she is. She is totally one of my heroes, no lie.

Also, I've been trying to come up with a good antonym for "talk shit." What do you think of "talk cake"? Like, "Were your ears burning yesterday? Joe mentioned he got your new zine and we talked cake about you for twenty minutes."
i've enjoyed any number of zines recently that have come directly from trades on this site/people ive found because of WMZ. Monstress #10 was a great slab of ye olde lovecraftian lore with a sense of humour to boot and Zacery's zines always make me laugh... i like the way he is exploring his world and thoughts on paper... some interesting insights there, D90 mixtape zine is a great read and Travesty ( musings on being a transvestite metalhead) is a great little journal;/perzine and i dont even like perzines that much.
Dave is awesome because On Subbing (the anthology) has become one of my most favorite books. Also, his zine About My Disappearance has helped me feel really awesome and not so shy about my own digestive issues.
oh thanks. clementine's zines are also very awesome. reading her stuff makes me feel like i am not crazy. and that i should go harder.

Clementine Cannibal said:
cocoa/puss writes about sex, relationships and life in a way that reassures me i'm not crazy and opens my mind to new ideas. reading her zine is like talking to a wise, intelligent, funny friend who is going to teach you about life, especially when it comes to sex. there are parts that are sad, vulnerable, fierce and passionate. if you read grrrrlzines, your collection is not complete without cocoa/puss!
plus, she has been such a good friend to me and i'm so lucky o have met her. i actually met her through this site, so good things do happen here!
I really have a whole lot of love for people who consistently put out new and original zines. I admire themed zines like Figure 8 and Ax Wound because they're so focused and constantly explore new opinions on themes that might be sort of fringe-y even to zinedom.

I appreciate distro owners who do a lot of thankless shite work to make sure that the zines they love have a wider audience. People like Sage and Lisa Mae who have been doing it for years not for kudos or cash, but for the love of the thing.

I appreciate new zinesters who wander into this community intentionally or by chance and fall deeply in love with a pretty obscure medium when blogging or webzines are so much easier. It's that sort of fresh, wide-eyed wonder that sometimes re-inspires the old school and keeps things running.
Ha! Talk cake. I like it! I mean who doesn't like cake.

Dave Roche said:
Thanks, Krissy, though modesty forces me to admit my zines are only excellent in two or three ways. Anyway, "Xtra Tuf" is consistently good and if any of you are lucky enough to know Moe you know what an amazing and creative person she is. She is totally one of my heroes, no lie.

Also, I've been trying to come up with a good antonym for "talk shit." What do you think of "talk cake"? Like, "Were your ears burning yesterday? Joe mentioned he got your new zine and we talked cake about you for twenty minutes."
I'd like to talk cake on someone who's been getting some negativity here lately: Joe Biel is a great guy who has really done a lot for the zine community. I think it's inspiring that Microcosm has gotten so big without compromising their ideals. (Finally we have another example to point to other than Discord for a DiY project that can make it without selling out.) And he's also been a tremendous friend to me, constantly encouragin me and letting me talk things through with him. I think it's unfortunate that once you gain a certain status you become a lightning rod for negativity, but other than accusing me of looking up naked pictures of Maggie Gyllenhaal on his computer once I have nothing bad to say about him. I would go on about him but the cat just took a crap and the litter box is by the computer; I really need to move somewhere else immediately.
I have recently through this site learned of Jen and MC who make ButterSword, a daily journal comic--it's on the web, and they have zines too. They're quirky and creative and honest and funny.

http://buttersword.com/

Other true loves are anything by Katie H--White Elephants, The La La Theory, White Blackbirds, Obsolete. She is a whirlwind of brilliance.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thelalatheory

Niku contributes so much to the zine world and made a beautiful cover for the zine I have coming out soon, functionally ill 6!

http://www.sweettoothcrafts.blogspot.com/

Mandy who makes Tiny Tiny is an innovative poet who makes found poems from old texts and collages and feeds my mind.

http://www.teenytiny.org/

The katie who makes We Are Not Machines and What I Learned Today is always sending wonderful unexpected treats to my mailbox.

http://wemakezines.ning.com/profile/katie40

Eddie of Zine Monger runs of distro of just free zines! This is love.

http://zinemonger.blogspot.com/

The super-talented sinoun of anatomic air provides us with The Trading Network, Postal Traffic, and small tasks of labour suit her slender bones.

http://anatomicair.com/

Wow, I could go on forever about my personal zine heroes. These are just a very few. The zine community is my home, and it's nice to have We Make Zines and be able to find almost everyone here.
dave! your are so sweet! thanks!

in the U.K., to talk the opposite of shit, they say, "big you up." like, "dave was bigging me up on the zine forum, he's brilliant."

love you,
moe

Dave Roche said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service