We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

So I know it's all a matter of individual taste, but I got to thinking that there are a ton of fantastic zines still being published on a somewhat regular basis that just don't get the press they deserve. I'd wager that there are a ton of reads I'd find to be the bee's knees if only someone would alert me to their very existence. I mean, every zine is sacred, but based on the flagrantly visible personalities of most of the folks who post remarks on this site, I believe it'd be a helpful tool to help others discover lost gems based on the tastes of those who champion them. Fair enough?

I'll go first:

Degrassi Digest
The only "perzine" I can think of that is inextricably linked to a televised Canadian teen drama.

Fuzzy Lunch Box
Random funny stories from a couple of thirty-something twins inhabiting the wilds of Santa Cruz.

Laughableness
The most ridiculous and hilarious comic book I've ever seen. Bad taste and good times abound!

Honorable Mentions (in alphabetical order):
Avow (great writing)
Eaves of Ass (gut writing)
Fergus (alphabetical ranting)
Hot Milk (smart, funny and thoughtful)
Low Hug/ Syndicate Product (fantastic compilations of excellent stories)

Those are just off the top of my head and whittled down for the sake of space. Forgive me if I neglected to mention your fine publications, or somehow offended the authors of those mentioned above!

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

good list, i'll have to check these out!!! thanks
I'll second all of Danny's (except for the ones I haven't read)

UNDERWORLD CRAWL is another one I also enjoy seeing pop up in my mailbox.

And there was one I read a few years back by a guy who is a former junkie and I don't recall the title nor do I know whether it's still being published. I think it was called Rocks & Blow or something and his wife won $15000 on Wheel of Fortune. Which I admit is an odd detail to point out, but it's the kid of detail that will keep people from confusing it with another zine by another ex junkie. Now I need to track it down to seeif it's still around.
I would love to read a zine about someone winning money on Wheel of Fortune. Christ, I'd love to read a zine by some even BEING on Wheel of Fortune, or any other game show for that matter!!

There MUST be a zine out there where folks recount such hilarious experiences. I mean, the law of averages...

I personally know a couple who lied their way onto the the Ricki Lake Show as guests (and were caught, ejected, sued, and the episode was never aired), as well as an eighteen year old male who won a gazebo on The Price is Right!! But despite my pleas, they have no interest in writing about their fantastic experiences, and I'm too busy to do it for them. Hell, I wasn't THERE, you know? It wouldn't be the same.

In any case, I started this post because I was hoping folks would give me some leads on wonderful things to read. I adore the absurd and obscure. Don't let me down!!

Ericfishlegs said:
I'll second all of Danny's (except for the ones I haven't read)

UNDERWORLD CRAWL is another one I also enjoy seeing pop up in my mailbox.

And there was one I read a few years back by a guy who is a former junkie and I don't recall the title nor do I know whether it's still being published. I think it was called Rocks & Blow or something and his wife won $15000 on Wheel of Fortune. Which I admit is an odd detail to point out, but it's the kid of detail that will keep people from confusing it with another zine by another ex junkie. Now I need to track it down to seeif it's still around.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service