We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I was wondering how much feedback you tend to get on your zines. I've been lucky to not get contacted by any creeps or highly irritating people, but I don't really get contacted by anyone with an opinion either (I'm not into the idea of sending stuff to review sites, it seems too forced, I'd rather get feedback from people who were genuinely interested in reading the zine to start with).

There are people who regularly buy my zines as they come out who have never contacted me with any comment, and often when I've traded with people I just get a note saying "thanks for the zine". In fact, I've pretty much just got feedback from people I'm friends with already, who of course will tend to be biased in my favour. In an anxious moment the other week, I was wondering if it was because my zine was so boring it didn't elicit any response at all, or was so bad people didn't want to be mean, so said nothing, but that's probably just self-doubt.

How about you? Do you get much feedback on your zines?

Tags: conversation, feedback, scene, zine

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I try and write when I really like a zine, but when I don't, it's hard because I don't really know what to say. I don't want to write 'I really hated your zine because it was boring' becacuse that kind of stuff isn't that helpful anyway.
Sometimes when I want to send feedback, but I didn't really enjoy the zine, I'll say that it wasn't really my type, or something like that.

Amy said:
I try and write when I really like a zine, but when I don't, it's hard because I don't really know what to say. I don't want to write 'I really hated your zine because it was boring' becacuse that kind of stuff isn't that helpful anyway.
I just got some awesome feedback! Someone wrote me a letter. Though I asked for feedback if she found a time, I forgot to leave my address. So she scanned her letter and emailed it to me! I thought that was really cool. I thought I'd mention it because it made my day. Also, made me think more about setting aside more time to send zinesters letters. Everyone likes a full PO Box.
Not much feedback. It does make me wonder if my work doesn't connect with people the way I'd like - there's probably some of that involved, and some of how things just work.

I'm thinking maybe because the zine scene is made up of creative types (unlike say film, tv and books, where it's creators vs audience), there's an awful lot of mutual respect happening. Creative types understand what goes into the creative process - so you're either offering clinical feedback on how to "do a job right", short & sweet generic feedback, or maintaining respectful distance. On the whole, anyway - there's always exceptions, like engaging personal feedback when something really inspires you, or if you're just the type to share that way. I don't know, though - just speculating. :)

Plus, this is a "rapid-fire" world. Maybe there's just less drive to give feedback because there's so much else going on. :) If I don't manage to give feedback to a zinester, this is usually why. :\

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service