We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Hey folks,

Recently I've had two people I've known die of an accidental overdose and I had to take care of & put another person in hospital, all in the past month & it gave me the idea to put together a zine on basic first aid/dealing with someone having a bad reaction to drugs or ODing, as well as the legal/financial issues of dealing with paramedics & the cops in these kinds of situations. It would be a companion to a zine my sister is putting together on accurate drug information (opposed to old wives tales/fear-mongering).

Before I begin, I was wondering if such a thing might exist already, & if so, where I can get ahold of it. Being in Canada, I'd like something based on the laws here, but anything is better than nothing.

I know there's a lot of this information floating around on the internet etc, but after dealing with the friends of the girl I put in the ambulance, I think it's really important to make something that's geared towards people who are mistrustful of the police/engaged in illegal activity so that they can still provide adequate care for each other without having to worry about being charged or arrested.

Tags: aid, drugs, first, issues, legal, overdosing, police

Views: 377

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

NicoleIntrovert said:

I think people who have voiced their dissenting opinion on this do not understand what it is like in those situations or does not have experience in heavy illegal drug use.   They cannot grasp the paranoia and the "no cops" mentality or the fear that is instilled if a cop happens upon that situation.  

I understand. Like I said, it is a selfish little shit mentality and placing your fear of getting busted by the cops  above your friend's life is pretty disgusting. I've seen some bad zines in my day, but this one will almost certainly lead to somebody's death if used.

I actually think a little knowledge here is worse than no knowledge because a little knowledge brings with it a false sense of confidence which is completely unwarranted when you're attempting to save a life.

Why is it so bad to know your rights with the police if they are called into a situation where someone is having a medical emergency and you are high?  

Or knowing basic first aid until the EMTs arrive?  

Or knowing basic first aid for simple things so it doesn't escalate to a situation when paramedics are necessary? 

Totally agree. I've experienced both times where people think they need to call 911 when they don't (usually freaking out on acid or mushrooms and having a panic attack, so they have an increased pulse and breathing, and they just need to be talked down) and people that haven't called 911 when they should because they were afraid they'd get busted. These are a reality and if people know their rights with police and have good advice, they may be more likely to call them when they should.

NicoleIntrovert said:

Why is it so bad to know your rights with the police if they are called into a situation where someone is having a medical emergency and you are high?  

Or knowing basic first aid for simple things so it doesn't escalate to a situation when paramedics are necessary? 

Dan, if this is the approach we take then I can support it. I'm not gonna get behind soeone being too afraid to call 911 when a friend of theirs is vomiting up blood or is in obvious danger that is beyond reasonable first aid skills. However I can see the logic in something like this making people less likely to call 911 needlessly. I'd have to see the zine before I make up my mind, but I'm done shitting on it.
Dan 10things said:
Totally agree. I've experienced both times where people think they need to call 911 when they don't (usually freaking out on acid or mushrooms and having a panic attack, so they have an increased pulse and breathing, and they just need to be talked down) and people that haven't called 911 when they should because they were afraid they'd get busted. These are a reality and if people know their rights with police and have good advice, they may be more likely to call them when they should.

NicoleIntrovert said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service