We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

When I use the computer to type text for zines I'm a big fan of Baskerville in pt 9/10, it looks warm and friendly, and reminds me of letterpress fonts and the font they used to use in 60s and 70s puffin children's books. For headers I pick one from the various more decorative fonts I've got, FT rosecube and Post Office and Unicorn are three favourites that go well with the baskerville (or I've got two sets of rubber stamp letters in retro looking fonts that me & Tukru found ultra cheap in an art shop, we wanted to buy loads of boxes of them the next time we were there, but they didn't sell them anymore)

I'm a bit stingy with my font size, I must admit, but that's because I want to maximise content to copy costs ratios without making it hard to read.

What are your favourite fonts to use?

(the files are the decorative fonts off my mac- I have no idea if they'll work on a pc)

Tags: fonts, layout, question

Views: 1571

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I layout all of my stuff using this obscure typesetting system called LaTeX, so I end up with the default 10pt Computer Modern font it uses. It has a fairly sparse and clean look that I'm fond of.
ariel..., 10 or 11and no silly serifs to make texts unreadable (i've tossed many a fancypants zine, 'cause the goal must ever be communication, not razzle dazzle). for titles and 'headlines' and text 'grabbers' i'd use anything..'edwardian script' is even fine at 32 (bold), but all cursive 'scripts' hafta be @ about 26-32 (and bold); otherwise...: ARIEL!
oh..., handwritten texts (cursive or block) are also excellent for zines, but rest the ol' wrist between pages lest 'daycare' degradations ensue..., @ about page 3!

tim scannell said:
ariel..., 10 or 11and no silly serifs to make texts unreadable (i've tossed many a fancypants zine, 'cause the goal must ever be communication, not razzle dazzle). for titles and 'headlines' and text 'grabbers' i'd use anything..'edwardian script' is even fine at 32 (bold), but all cursive 'scripts' hafta be @ about 26-32 (and bold); otherwise...: ARIEL!
I like the old typwriter fonts.... I have several different ones that I have downloaded from www.dafont.com

Once I get on that website I find that it is easy to spend endless time on there just testing out al the many great fonts!

Below are few of my faves...!

I make zines.doc
I really like a font called Centaur but sadly only have it on an old defunct computer!
Arial...and that's it. If I feel creative I'll trace some hehe :)
xox
And there goes my productivity for the night. (Ooh, haven't looked at fonts in a while, I wonder if they have one that is just wingdings of pokemon.) I am glad other people think fonts are worth getting excited over.

I am a boring person and generally use bitstream charter for the majority of content and use cool fonts for headings and other bits and pieces. (http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/charter/ It has serifs and old school 'a's. Not so exciting, but readable and not TNR or Arial.)

I smirk and feel clever when I use Fanzine. I am probably not actually clever.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service