We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I'm working on the first issue of a perzine and have happy little images of different format possibilites floating through my head. What have been your favorite formats to either work with or read- do you go more for the standard size zines, or mini zines or one-sheet zines or something else entirely?

Views: 1299

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like the super duper duper minis that fit in your pocket
most of the zines i've made have been half (standard) - size, but have started experimenting with quarter (standard) - size. i like reading quarter-size zines because i love how they fit right in my back pocket. i like the look of half-legal size zines as well.
My favorite zine format is quarter-sized, but I tend to play around with formats a lot. More so back in college when I had ample time and no bills, but I still try to vary sizes and shapes. I've done 1/8, 1/6, 1/4, 1/2, full page, one-sided scroll, etc. The zine I am currently working on is going to be 1/2, but running length, not width (so 4.25" x 11"). I don't know how successful it will be, but I've never tried it, which is why I'm doing it now.
wendy lee lynds said:
there is something about "little" that is so darn appealing. something that fits in my hand. it's a visceral thing, i think. they are charming and adorable and somehow *very* precious!

Little is cute, but I find them a pain to read while eating or drinking coffee because you have to constantly flip pages. I like half or full size zines the most, I like a lot of content on a page.
Definitely half size... they are so easy to carry around, mail, and can hold so much content!
Half-size! Though I do love them all. I love big, fat half-size sines that are full of content - they're my favourite to hold and you can always do fab covers for them. I love having a whole bunch of half-size zines lined up on my shelves. I love quarter-size zines because they feel so ziney. I don't know how to describe what I mean by that, but they almost feel like the 'proper' size for a zine. They just feel right. Even 1/8 is cute, and I love them - but not too often. Only the right kind of content really fits in a quarter-size (for me anyway). I find them too easy to lose and am always freaking out, hunting between the pages of books/ bottom of my bags etc for them.

At the moment I'm making one of each size.
A6 quarter-size is my favourite. The proportions are just so lovely. :) That said, I haven't made one of those in a few years now.

At the moment, I really like those one-sheet mini-zines - the ones you make by cutting a slit in the middle and folding it. So cute! ^__^
I'm another who loves 1/4 size. It just feels good in my hands, and looks small and cute, but without being too small to get a decent amount of content on each page.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service