We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I've considered setting up an Etsy account for my stuff before but always stop at the first hurdle when I'm asked to remember that Etsy is only for handmade, crafty items. While a certain amount of my stuff could be fairly called hand bound, a fair deal of it is just copied onto nice paper and stapled together. I like to think it has a good aesthetic, and the zines are always very short runs, but is that enough to qualify for Etsy? Are many zines sold on Etsy like mine and are they okay with that? Because if so, I'll set up an account tomorrow. But I don't want to sign up and attempt to trade things on there if they're really inappropriate. What do other zinesters with accounts there think?

Tags: etsy, zines

Views: 322

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd also say that it's helpful to describe your etsy product in a way that is reflective of the sort of content people can expect to find within... If your zine runs heavily toward visual, rather than written content, make use of the multiple pictures for one low cost option. And tag the bejesus out of it - that's one advantage we have over the knitters of baby socks. We can have some crazy searchable tags, and lots of em. For every issue I've listed, I' make it standard to tag 'zine' 'autobiography' 'non-fiction' 'motherhood' 'kids' 'new york city' ... then I add any tags (Japan, recipes, subway, underpants...WHATEVER!!!) that are reflective of that issue's specific content. Never know when an unsuspecting etsy underwear shopper may decide to throw caution to the wind and chuck a copy of The East Village Inky #40 into their cart just for the low-priced spontaneous hell of it.
I really wish I could list on Etsy myself -- as a distro, I mean (I haven't published much of my own in a while). But they don't allow it. It seems their concern is that they can't know that the creators actually get paid (and, probably, whether or not it's a legitimate distro, etc.), which I can understand. But I'd still like to get in on the fun...

I did sell on Etsy for a while several years ago and enjoyed it. I guess the solution is to start publishing again!
I've had an etsy account for about a year. I've have my zines listed on and off and have done okay. Some issues sell ridiculously well, while others don't move at all. Selling on etsy is in constant flux, for zines and other items alike. You may not sell something for a week or month and then suddenly have a couple weeks of great business. My only problem really is the limited feedback etsy buyers give-- it's really frustrating not hearing anything sometimes.

I just recently put out a couple self-published zine-like fiction pieces as installed in serials, which I'm hoping takes off...
but yeah, etsy's the only way I got my zine out there, so it's a good venue to try!
I've had nothing but an excellent experience selling zines on Etsy. I think I've sold more copies of issues in the (almost) two years I've been on Etsy than I did in the previous nine years in total (not counting to stores). I found the interface incredibly easy to use as well.

Like previous posters said, tag the heck out of each issue. Also - you get 5 pictures for each listing. I use one picture of the cover, and then scan 4 interesting pages from each issue and post them as well. Might as well use them!
Etsy has finally updated their Teams section and we have a new Etsy Team Zine Page! Check it out: Team Zine
One thing I don't like about Etsy is that it charges .20 to list an item, at least it did when I used to sell zines on there a few years ago. For a handmade piece of clothing or artist's book that's a small amount, but for a $1 zine, it's a pretty significant chunk (since Paypal also takes a .30 bite). I was losing money on most of my orders, which is the way of zines, but at least if I sell through my distro or a personal site I'm only enriching Paypal and breaking even. I wish they'd waive the fee for items under a certain amount. But as a reader, I've found some good zines through Etsy.
Team Zine isn't really up yet, I couldn't get into it. Just got this message...

--------------------
Teams is in Beta
Are you looking for Teams? Sorry, you'll have to wait a little bit longer!

Etsy's Teams feature is currently an invitation-only beta. As soon as we've kicked the tires, we'll open it up to everyone. In the meantime, you can read this blog post about it and sign up for Etsy's Teams newsletter to get info and updates.
--------------------
weird. convo me and I 'll add you. My etsy name is brainscan

Elaine said:
Team Zine isn't really up yet, I couldn't get into it. Just got this message...

--------------------
Teams is in Beta
Are you looking for Teams? Sorry, you'll have to wait a little bit longer!

Etsy's Teams feature is currently an invitation-only beta. As soon as we've kicked the tires, we'll open it up to everyone. In the meantime, you can read this blog post about it and sign up for Etsy's Teams newsletter to get info and updates.
--------------------
That's ok, I'll wait, I'm not ready to put anything up on etsy yet. Just thought you should know the teams thing isn't wide open yet.
Oo, I'll got sign up for team zine.

meanwhile, I just got the exciting news that I get to be etsy guest curator for a week in December to celebrate the publication of the Zinester's Guide to NYC.

My plan is to revisit in my armchair some of the places I've traveled via etsy items... If you have a zine or other item for sale on etsy that somehow relates to Nairobi, Tokyo, Bangkok, or Paris, send a link, wouldja?

Thanks!
whoops, Alex, I just got the same message Elaine did about Beta. I'm using a really old version of Firefox - could that be it? I'll convo you.
the Team Zine page seems to be working now, you need to be logged into etsy to see it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service