We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

It has been quite a long time since I've been active in this community (and I'd like to apologize to anyone who has tried to contact me since), but I seem to specifically recall a discussion about ethics and unwritten rules within the zine writing community.  However, I cannot seem to find the discussion anywhere.  I have found a few threads that discuss little bits of it, but nothing very specific.

I was wondering if anyone could direct me to any good threads about this OR websites/zines with this.  I'm working on writing a magazine series about zines for a friend's online women's magazine and I have begun a section about the ethics of zine writing. 

I'd appreciate any help I can get, also, if you want to be interviewed or have anything that you'd like me to add, let me know!  Send me a message on here, reply to this thread.  I can let you know more information and hell, if you want to just put something out there, you can send me that as well along with how you would like to be attributed in the piece.

Thanks so much everyone!

Views: 494

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There were a lot of discussions that dealt with ethics and unwritten rules on the forum.  Here are just a few.

http://wemakezines.ning.com/forum/topics/etiquette-and-professionia... http://wemakezines.ning.com/forum/topics/is-there-a-market-for-selling http://wemakezines.ning.com/forum/topics/2288844:Topic:13116 http://wemakezines.ning.com/forum/topics/how-do-yall-feel-about-this

I don't think there's any consensus and the controversy rages on. My impression is that there are zinesters who think they define zine culture, and expect people to follow rules zinesters past never paid any attention to.  Although all the self/amateur publishing cultures overlap and co-developed for more than a hundred years, maybe longer, I think what we call zine culture has had a rather anarchic character.  I'm sure I break a lot of rules that people think I should follow, but only in the interest of creativity and communication.  I try get a sense of what other zinesters I might be interacting with believe and out of courtesy, not ethics per se, respect their wishes.

There's a "small press" culture that's probably more concerned with copyrights and professionalism and all that, that isn't totally distinct from zine culture but different in some ways.  I think a lot of zinesters lean toward a "small press" sensibility.

i like being interviewed, and i have opinions!  send me an email: iknowbilly@gmail.com.  we could do email interview, or you could call me.

Awesome!  I will shoot you an email within the next week once I have some more downtime.  Things have been crazy for me with my job and personal life.

Billy Da Bunny said:

i like being interviewed, and i have opinions!  send me an email: iknowbilly@gmail.com.  we could do email interview, or you could call me.

I think the point of independent publishing is that ethics and rules go completely out the window

I don't believe that independent publishing automatically means that ethics and rules go completely out the window at all. Maybe that is the case for some people who publish their own works, but the OP specifically used the word "community." And - as was mentioned - it is not a homogeneous group, so the rules/ethics/courtesies/etc...will vary. I do think that the general guidelines tend to be more concerned with things like respect for others, copyright/creative commons, pricing/trading, and that sort of thing instead of positioning yourself for prestige, all the monies, all the fames, or whatever the concerns are in big publishing.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service