We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

anyone interested (or
know someone who might be interested) in helping to organize an east bay
zine and comic fest (perhaps we could come up with some cool acronym!)
for around december...if so let me know -- thinking of having a planning
meeting sometime late next week...

Views: 85

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i think this is a great idea!!! i will be out of town next week, but i am interested in planning that for sure. i can only think of one other person who might want to help with this and she is on a lengthy trip. but, i will ask next time i get ahold of her.
what part of the east bay were you thinking? as long as the location is near bart i don't think it will make much of a difference, but just wondering. and it would be super cool to have the location and days worked out by september so we could tell people about it at the sf zine fest!!
those are excellent points -- see multiple heads are so much better than one -- ok well i don't mind putting off the first meeting till you get back...ideas for spaces/places? near bart? hmmm i'm starting to think...and i know francois from the sf zine fest will offer guidance and suggestions...

thanks for responding

tomas
my friends go to a place on telegraph in downtown oakland called rock paper scissors, which would be good except i think it's pretty small. my mom works at rockridge library and they let various groups host events in their meeting room, that might work. we probably can't count on the weather being nice in december, so a park might not be so good. i'm not really sure.
you know what's weird? i go to berkeley high and i know a bunch of people who know your daughter... her name is zora right? cause i was talking to my friend ezzie about zines and she said her friend zora's dad did a zine called rad dad, which i had read at 924 gilman. so i was thinking perhaps the guy who does rad dad would want to help organize this. but you are the guy who does rad dad! :)

tomas moniz said:
those are excellent points -- see multiple heads are so much better than one -- ok well i don't mind putting off the first meeting till you get back...ideas for spaces/places? near bart? hmmm i'm starting to think...and i know francois from the sf zine fest will offer guidance and suggestions...

thanks for responding

tomas
tomas, are you still into this idea? i am! plus i have all my ideas about what went wrong with the sf zine fest fresh in my mind. so the east bay one could not have the same issues. stuff like the tables being expensive, it being a terribly difficult location for cycling to, and not that many people being there for such a big space. i guess i need to take a moment to write down exactly what i liked and didn't like and how to fix it.
h -- yes we are doing it -- check out the facebook page -- next meeting is in a couple weeks!

east bay alternative press (ebap)

here's my email

tomas.moniz@gmail.com
alright. thanks.

tomas moniz said:
h -- yes we are doing it -- check out the facebook page -- next meeting is in a couple weeks!

east bay alternative press (ebap)

here's my email

tomas.moniz@gmail.com
One of the biggest reasons why we didn't attend. The tables were too expensive at SF zine fair. I felt that was pretty exclusive.

Isabel Xochitl said:
tomas, are you still into this idea? i am! plus i have all my ideas about what went wrong with the sf zine fest fresh in my mind. so the east bay one could not have the same issues. stuff like the tables being expensive, it being a terribly difficult location for cycling to, and not that many people being there for such a big space. i guess i need to take a moment to write down exactly what i liked and didn't like and how to fix it.
east bay zine fest planning meeting is going to be at Au Coquelet Cafe Restaurant on Milvia
and University on Tuesday october 5th at 7pm. should be no more than an hour...come on by and let's get this party started...

Grrrl Zines A-Go-Go said:
One of the biggest reasons why we didn't attend. The tables were too expensive at SF zine fair. I felt that was pretty exclusive.

Isabel Xochitl said:
holy shit.... they were anywhere from $90 to $120 for a full table. That is ABSURD. Plus you have to have some crazy permit thing, who knows if that costs money. It's a good thing i hate San Francisco and have no desire to ever go back there again even for a zine event.

Amber / Culture Slut said:
How much were the tables at SF Zine Fest?
That would not even be worth my time as a distro even if it were a 5 minute walk from my house.

Amber / Culture Slut said:
What???!! I was expecting someone to say $20-$30. I've received a few messages over Etsy recently, suggesting that I book a table for various craft fairs at $80-$90 and I've always written back to tell them what a ridiculous request that is for someone who makes two dollar zines. Those were for big craft fairs though, I didn't think anyone would ever do that for a zine fair.

NicoleIntrovert said:
holy shit.... they were anywhere from $90 to $120 for a full table. That is ABSURD. Plus you have to have some crazy permit thing, who knows if that costs money. It's a good thing i hate San Francisco and have no desire to ever go back there again even for a zine event.

Found the facebook page--great! I'm looking forward to it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service