We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Zine World is looking for writers, reviewers, and artists to help with the next issue, which will be released this summer. Here's how you can contribute:

* Writers -- We need articles and columns on topics of interest to zinesters. Potential topics could include writing, publishing, creativity, DIY, censorship, mail art, free speech-related news, etc. Original content or already published pieces ok. (I'd really like to get an article by someone who runs a distro, writing about your experiences.) Email jerianne at undergroundpress.org with your ideas. Articles for the next issue would be due in early June.

* Reviewers -- We need reviewers who are passionate about zines, who can write concisely, and who are not afraid to express their opinions. We like to have a variety of reviewers on board: people who are interested in different genres of zines, people of different ages, people who are culturally and geographically diverse, new zinesters and old timers. You must be able to meet deadlines. If you'd like to try out as a reviewer, please email jerianne at undergroundpress.org; include a note about yourself and 5 sample zine reviews, following the format we use for our reviews. If you are not familiar with our review format and style, take a look at the sample reviews on our website.

* Artists -- To overcome the inherent textiness of a review zine, we welcome contributed illustrations. If you'd like to join our stable of artists, email art at undergroundpress.org. Find more details at our website.

Zine World would not exist without the help of volunteers. We'd love to have your help!

Views: 31

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would like to suggest that no one contribute to Zine World. Zine World is too conservative-- too conservative in that they have a very narrow view of what a zine is and should be. Every issue is virtually the same. It's rarely published and filled to the brim with outdated information. And they don't seem to be interested in changing.

Of course you don't have to listen to me about Zine World. I was only making a suggestion after all.
What is your basis for this? they've put out at least two issues in just the past year. ... so rarely published, quite untrue. Also, outdated information? Actually, i, myself, personally, spent several hours working on making sure that the information for infoshops and such was completely up to date for issue #26. Again... your point, quite untrue.

They also represent a TON of different types of zines. Where are your examples of how they have a narrow view of zines? They represent, personal, policitcal, art, lit, poetry, etc etc.
NicoleIntrovert said:
What is your basis for this? {snipped}.

dont even sweat that dude, he's been harrassing Zine World for years - at first when i read the crackpot letters he sent to ZW it was kinda hilarious, but now its sad and pathetic...i wouldnt be surprised if Jerianne and co have put a restraining order on him. *shakes head* just plain weird..
raequel aka systris said:
NicoleIntrovert said:
What is your basis for this? {snipped}.

dont even sweat that dude, he's been harrassing Zine World for years - at first when i read the crackpot letters he sent to ZW it was kinda hilarious, but now its sad and pathetic...i wouldnt be surprised if Jerianne and co have put a restraining order on him. *shakes head* just plain weird..

Listening to Yul Tolbert's views on ZINE WORLD would be like listening to Rush Limbaugh's views on President Obama. It might be kinda fun to watch the crackpot spout off for a while, but it does get old and it's certainly not worth taking seriously.
Zine World is happy to review just about any type of self-published media (or otherwise produced outside of the mainstream). The only things we restrict are that we don't review music, we only review books that meet certain criteria, and we won't review zines that don't have a publishable mailing address for orders. Zine World's content reflects the contributions we receive -- and that includes the zines, comics, chapbooks, and other things that are mailed to us for review.
As I see it. publishing two Zine Worlds a year DOES mean it's rarely published. Obviously no one will listen to me here, but I will say a review zine that's published at least six times a year -- or better yet monthly -- can be considered frequently published. And a monthly or bi-minthly review zine could more easily avoid publishing out-dated information. I do recall sending in zines to Zine World that didn't get reviewed until at least a year after I sent them in. To me, that sort of thing leads to outdated information. But then again, nobody listens to me, so whatever!
So, create your own review zine as you see fit.
zinsters should review
zines in their
geo area...and
write for zine world...

buy a copy to see review-style...
articles too
if ya wanna get yr reviews to a ZINE
fast
well, go to louie crew's list of
500 zines accepting electronic submissions...

does NOT MEAN the review
will get pub'd
fast...

electronic zines are also
quarterly
etcetera...
So publish your own, Yul, and show us how it's done. Seriously, if you can publish a better reviewzine than Zine World I'd be all over it. Remember, this reviewzine will be monthly or bimonthly. Let us know when the first issue is out.
In the next issue of Zine World, we'll be printing our updated list of zine review publications and websites. If you know of one that we don't have listed (see our website), please email Jerianne with details.

We'd also love to have you share your recommendations, tips, and resources for our Word of Mouth section. There's so much great info that gets shared here on We Make Zines -- we'd like to take it beyond this community, to the people who read Zine World but who aren't members here. We're looking for recommendations on distros you use (to sell your zine or to buy others), tips on mailing or printing, new zine libraries & infoshops, address changes, reports from recent zine events -- whatever you think fellow zinesters would like to know! Email wordofmouth@undergroundpress.org with your contributions.
I'm working on catching up on my email right now.

Zacery Nova said:
I emailed you, but didn't get a reply....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service