We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Compilation Zine for International Zine Month

In celebration of International Zine Month for July 2009 I am creating a compilation zine about how YOU got into zines. The zine will be titled, "ENTRY POINT" aka "How did I get myself into this mess?" It's time to spill your guts about how Sassy Magazine, Riot Grrrl, the book Hard Love, etc turned you into the zinester you are today.

The format will be 1/2 sized. What I would like is for each zinester wanting to take part to submit their own ONE page of a 1/2 zine, already layed out. I think it will give an interesting look to have all of these zinesters from all around the world use their own style and layout techniques to talk about how they got into zines. If you want to be able to be contacted, or even promote your own projects, please list your contact information on your page.

I would prefer that these are mailed to me so i can paste them all ready to go in a mock up. Emailing is also an option, but remember the quality just won't be as good if i have to print it out.

Each person who has an entry and any zine distros interested will receive a "flat" from me. The idea is to give this zine away for FREE in the month of July. You can make your own copies to give out to as many people as possible.

If you wish to participate please submit your piece NO LATER than April 30, 2009. I will do the mock up in May and i will ensure everyone has their flat at the beginning of June so they can get their copies ready for International Zine Month in July.

Submit work to:

Nicole Introvert
P.O. Box 35501
Richmond, VA 23235
USA

Questions? nicole.introvert@gmail.com

Would you like to donate some cash to help with the cost of copies/shipping? Pay Pal any donations: nicole.introvert@gmail.com

IZM Blog: http://internationalzinemonth.wordpress.com/

Views: 15

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you think I could get a flat even though I was way too busy to get a submission in to you? I'd like to have some at the Portland zine symposium and maybe distribute them around Portland.

NicoleIntrovert said:
Hey - i am a little late sending out the flats. I promise that they WILL be mailed this week. Thanks!!
Hello!!

I thought this to be one of the greatest compilation ideas I'd heard of in recent times and so I sent in a contribution. If my bit makes the grade and has been included (it doesn't really matter to me; I know my story already!), but if I do indeed receive a flat I'd planned on copying a healthy number (50-100) to drop off on the free table at the Portland Zine Thing. (Let's just say that I know a printer who works cheap). In fact, I won't be tabling for the first time in four years, but savvy freegans should pay close attention to those glorious free tables at the Portland Zine Symposium, because I have some spring (summer?) cleaning to do. Free zines ahoy!! Everybody wins!!

And let me just say -- Thank you Nicole Introvert for masterminding such a fantastic project. I am extraordinarily curious to see the results.

Alex Wrekk said:
Do you think I could get a flat even though I was way too busy to get a submission in to you? I'd like to have some at the Portland zine symposium and maybe distribute them around Portland.

NicoleIntrovert said:
Hey - i am a little late sending out the flats. I promise that they WILL be mailed this week. Thanks!!
Flats were mailed this morning at the trust old APC machine!

Alex - i will get one to you as well!
EXCELLENT! I am so excited to make copies and give them out to people!

Thank you for making this happen Nicole.

NicoleIntrovert said:
Flats were mailed this morning at the trust old APC machine!

Alex - i will get one to you as well!
I just received my flat and (gush gush), it is beautiful. Thank you Nicole, for doing a wonderful job with your wonderful idea.

Of course, I reread my submission and OF COURSE there was a typo in it. It seems like no matter how many times I read and reread and rereread and rerereread my writing, I always leave in at least one typo. Apparently I became a Zine World review instead of a Zine World reviewer. Two letters, huge difference. In any case, I might try to make a little correction, and if anyone else feels like correcting my error, go for it.

My mistake did give me an idea for a costume (if I ever need one). I could reprint a Zine World review really big and tape it on my shirt, and then I would be a Zine World review. Would anyone but me get the joke?

Anyway, I plan to make copies of Entry Point this weekend and spend the month of July giving copies to anyone who shows even the mildest interest.
Ooh, I guess my flats will probably get here next week. Which is just as well because I won't have the money to make copies till then anyway.
All orders to Click Clack Distro will get a copy of the Entry Point zine free!

Also, i will be handing them out at the International Zine Month event that the Richmond Zine Fest has planned which is a screening of the films DIY or Die and Grrrlyshow.
YOu should get me more info on the film screening andI'll get them up on the IZM site.

NicoleIntrovert said:
All orders to Click Clack Distro will get a copy of the Entry Point zine free!

Also, i will be handing them out at the International Zine Month event that the Richmond Zine Fest has planned which is a screening of the films DIY or Die and Grrrlyshow.
Just wanted to post a cover pic if anyone was interested!

ummm... the zine that this thread is about.

Zacery Nova said:
What's that for? I like the cover...

I have been giving out copies of Entry Point, mostly to my friends, but also to a few strangers. Everyone is really excited about it, think it's a GREAT idea and well done. I have given it to folks from age 60+ to mid 20s and everyone has been happy to take it and read it. I gave a copy to my friend KT last night. I ran into her today and she told me that she's read zines and liked zines, but never "got" zines until last night when she read Entry Point.

Last night I whipped up my "Ask Me About Zines" t-shirt right before going to an opening reception at the grassroots arts space I am involved with. I wore the new shirt ($1 from the thrift store, iron on letters acquired through FreeCycle, worn with a skirt I got out of the thrift store trash) to the event, which was mainly a much older crowd than we usually get. Anyone, one guy did ask me about "zInes" (long "i", like fines), and we had a great conversation. Yippee!

I will try to take a photo of the new zine shirt tomorrow and post it.
Here's the t-shirt I whipped up for International Zine Month.

Sorry you have to twist your neck to look at it. I don't know how to rotate it here.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service