We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I've been filling out my college applications and writing my essays and such, and I didn't know how to explain my zine distro or my evolvement in the zine scene.

Is it extra-curricular? Is running a zine distro a job? Or is it a hobby? Should I even include zines on my college applications at all?

Thanks!

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you should put it down at an extra-curricular, and just say something like, "founded/ran This Saturday Night Distro, a distributor of small-press publications," with maybe some specifics of the number of titles you carried or the volume you sold.
i actually contemplated on jotting this down too ( i don't reamember if i did).
i applied to artschool, and i guess i figured it might help in showing what creative abilities i might have.
Yeah I might put it on the application, since it is sort of like a business you know?

Maybe I'll keep it in the extra-cirricular section.
It really depends on what you're applying for. Zoology degree? They probably don't care. Communications? Art History? Cultural Studies? For SURE put it down. And it's a commerce operation, and that is a job IMHO.
You should totally include it. That stuff is impressive. I don't know what category to put it under, but it has to be included.
This may be a bit "stilted", but you could call your distro an "amateur publication distribution service", if you're looking for something that sounds more "professional".

If you're conscientous about how you run it, I'd think it would be pretty relevant on a college application. It's educational, i.e., learning by doing.
I think this is in a similar enough vein to pose here instead of starting a new thread...what about including a zine on your resume?

I'm an artist just starting to get into gallery showing, so my art resume is pretty sparse. What's everyone's thoughts about including a zine on one's resume?
Is the zine art related? If it is I'd definitely include it.
But if it's a literary zine or something, I don't think that would be relevant.

ManDuh said:
I think this is in a similar enough vein to pose here instead of starting a new thread...what about including a zine on your resume?

I'm an artist just starting to get into gallery showing, so my art resume is pretty sparse. What's everyone's thoughts about including a zine on one's resume?
Art zines definitely are!

This Saturday Night Distro said:
Is the zine art related? If it is I'd definitely include it.
But if it's a literary zine or something, I don't think that would be relevant.

ManDuh said:

They're not exclusively art zines, although I do include some of my own drawings in them...fuck it, my resume is so scarce as is, including my zine can't hurt it any :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service