We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Being to far away I couldn't make the Chicago Zine Fest but have been very interested in learning how it went.  If you attended/participated/worked the Fest, please do let us know how it went, etc...  And some photos would be sweet!

Thanks Much!

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There were a lot of exhibitors! There were a lot people attending! I would guess it was three times as big as the Milwaukee zine fest and one third as big as SPX. It was totally impressive for a first-time zine fest put together in way less than a year. Jeffrey Brown was there! Some other fairly famous people I was less excited about were there too! I definitely hope it happens again next year. I didn't know what to expect at all and was thoroughly impressed.

They should have had a microphone, and they should have had a separate room (instead of a corner) for the workshops, and having a few more workshop options would have been cool (particularly more workshops that taught people how to do something like a bookbinding workshop). The half of the room that I was on that was under a lower ceiling and further from the door might have got less attention from visitors. Saving a bunch of round tables spread out around the room for the students at the college it was held at seemed like a good idea that worked well. It was convenient to the trains!
I totally agree with everything Dan said! My only complaint was noise level. I LOVE noisy rooms, but then for the workshops, you need to do that somewhere else. But overall, the location was great, Columbia worked out perfectly. The tables that were under the lower ceiling part were subjected to lower lighting as well, so that was maybe a bit of a bummer, but I think everyone who attended visited every table.

There were tons of people! And I didn't make the other events (the readings and such) but heard they were very well-attended also. I had a great time, and already posted photos in my album if anyone wants to see.

Round of applause to the organizers, and big thank you to all non-chicago people who made the trip out! Good times!
PS!

This was the first time in forever that I ATTENDED a zinefest, instead of tabling. It was so fun! I wandered around and talked to everyone, and got TONS of new zines! Met lots of people who are on here, and lots of people who never even heard of WMZ. And i also sat in and listened to Jeffrey Brown, and found it really interesting
Billy Da Bunny said:
... I had a great time, and already posted photos in my album if anyone wants to see.

Thanks for posting the images Billy. Looks very well tabled and attended!
i went for 20 minutes at least. maybe at least 25 minutes the first night at quimby's. i loved the song, and it should be recorded, and it shall be my anthem. 'god save the zines' *snickers*. but i came there with a friend, who's sister came along, and hated it, and said it smelled like armpits. *snickers*. i didn't mind at all, but it wouldn't be quite as enjoyable without anyone naggin at ya.
Amber / Culture Slut said:
I attended and had a ridiculously awesome time. I'm in the midst of writing a short blog series about it, 'coz I'm still feeling overwhelmed by all the good times and wonderful people and can't cram all that goodness into one post. The first one is up here: www.hello-amber.blogspot.com.

i feel a bit more awful tha i missed out on practically the whole thing. but i read your blog and then i remember i did see you cuz you looked familiar
yep yep. probably you and i both. my best friend's sister doesn't like me much.
and cool. ill check it out.
Thanks for the posts guys. I also found some neat images linked from the chicagozinefest.org web site:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1323869@N25/
there's nothing else more calm and beautiful then a room full of beautiful zines.
I was not able to go... but i have to comment... the pictures. How is it that everyone in Chicago is so cute? Do you automatically just become cute when you enter the city limits?
i wanna squeeeze da fuck outta them zinesters.
this guy took some photos too! http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbrooks/4435567381/

Blake said:
Thanks for the posts guys. I also found some neat images linked from the chicagozinefest.org web site:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1323869@N25/

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service