We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I've been having mine done at Kinkos and I was just wondering if there are cheaper and more convinient places. I havent really looked around because i dont have the time. i just like kinkos because they can help you even in collating it...

Tags: center, cheap, copy

Views: 3384

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You are more likely to get cheaper prices if you go to a smaller local shop than kinko's. Most machines have a function to collate if you copy things in the right order. I usually make a master copy from my layout and that way I can just slap down the copy in the feeder and let the machine do the rest. And if the copy starts to get tattered I can jsut make another one off the original.

In Portland we have the Independent Publishing Resource Center (IPRC) where we now have two photocopiers and one of 4 cents and side and the other is 5.
I go to Staples because you get 10 percent back on copies. Plus sometimes they have sales (this summer they had 50 percent off black and white copies). But I would definitely support a local print shop if their prices are more affordable (where I live, that's not the case).
what excatly do you mean you get 10% back on copies ??
Josh Blair said:
I go to Staples because you get 10 percent back on copies. Plus sometimes they have sales (this summer they had 50 percent off black and white copies). But I would definitely support a local print shop if their prices are more affordable (where I live, that's not the case).

10% back on copies? Like how? I called a bunch of copy centers around my neighborhoood (whgich is in the middle of nowhere btw) and it costs at least 10 cents each (11 at UPS), except for staples where it costs 9 cents...

i really want to know about getting 10% back though...

thanks
I make copies at my school's library. I work there, so I get 'em free...

For color copies, though, I have to go to Kinko's. They're way too pricey, I agree. It cost me $25 to make ten copies of my SHOE zine, not including all the other supplies I used.
this is a great thread. i got ripped at the local kinko's which is now owned by fedex. $.23/double sided page. owch.
we have minuteman press here but it's never open when i want to go there. and the one downtown has no parking whatsoever. maybe because it's downtown.

kinko's is not that great, but it is open 24 hours in some places so that's cool. i do most of my work at night. but i agree their copy machines aren't all that great.
it's definitely relative to where you live. The Kinkos where i live is .09 a side. Staples & Office Max are both .08 a side. Kinkos has the "grab all the colored paper you want for the same cost" feature.

I create a color copy of my mock up and use that to put in the top feed of the copy machine... and let the machine do all the collating.

I prefer having the control of making my own copies rather than letting someone i don't know do it, so i am more comfortable at a place with the self serve copies.
I always seek out an independent copy place, rather than use a corporate chain like Kinkos, Staples or Office Max, unless I'm scamming from the corporate chain. I always have felt zines lose a little of their DIY/rebelliousness when a large crappy corporation is profiting in their creation/manufacturing, but also, indie copy shops are often cheaper and willing to cut deals. Indie print shops definitely are cheaper if you reach a large enough print run to switch to offset press.
I print for a living, and the funny thing is that the machine charge itself (including toner, maintenance, and all that) is usually only about half a cent per side, plus the cost of paper, which for 20# white is less than half a cent per sheet. If you're paying more than a penny and a half for a double sided copy, you're being ripped off. But I guess that's the name of the game. Stick with the independents if you can. They need all the help they can get and will usually try to help you out.
Office Depot has a rewards program that gives you a 10% rebate. Maybe Staples has something like that too?

Denise said:
Josh Blair said:

10% back on copies? Like how? I called a bunch of copy centers around my neighborhoood (whgich is in the middle of nowhere btw) and it costs at least 10 cents each (11 at UPS), except for staples where it costs 9 cents...

i really want to know about getting 10% back though...

thanks
Print Pope said:
Stick with the independents if you can. They need all the help they can get and will usually try to help you out.

So true!

I can photocopy all the black and white I need, thanks to my job, but I've been having trouble finding a good place to do color... unfortunately, the only place nearby is a Kinko's (which recently eliminated their student discount, to add insult to financial injury).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service