We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Call for Submissions Thread - all posts that are calls for submissions go here

In general calls for submission and announcements are to be posted on your blog and the forum is for questions and discussions. However, since people seem to think the forum gets more attention, let's use this thread - and this thread only - for any submissions wanted post.  Feel free to aslo post on your blog. Thanks!

Views: 4461

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Slingshot issue #114 kick-off meeting / article brainstorm  August 18, 2013

Article Brainstorm:  for any of these articles we are looking for an author so ask your friends and/or volunteer to do it. 
We'll post this list on our website along w/ the article deadline.
post office privatization Berkeley post office occupation
-whistle blowers riseup
-critique of social networks -
- global warming -
-critique of PC -
-fracking in the bay area? -
-tar sands oil moving by trains -
-east bay anarchist bookfaire -
-20 years of long haul infoshop -
-infoshop update -
-permit for long haul after 34 years -
-reaction to police brutality that makes sense -
-ghetto of anarchist window smashing -
-zine reviews -
-California prisoner hunger strike -
-Willits bypass(nature vs. road expansion) -
-Zapitistas doing esquelita
-stop and frisk
-column on liberal media -
-city college SF closure and disability student access -
- sins invalid -
-Egypt -
-Israel scene report state disability -
-trans identity -
-buy nothing day -
-buy nothing day story w/ a lesson -
-increase in radical spaces and media -
-DIY article -
-domestic drones -
- immigration / dream act -
-abortion crack down -
-Fukishima leaking
-20 years of the slingshot organizer -
-eviction of Fava Bean house squat -
-counter culture thriving -
-Bellingham alternative library -
-future importance of pirate radio

ideas left over from last issue:

-Cancer and capitalism –
- Anti-nudity law in SF –
-Gender disestablishment –
-Hackers architype –
-Conscious living collective –
-radical agriculture –
-drones –
-promote upcoming events –
-foreclosure defense update –
-how I became a wingnut(biography of activist) –

Timeline: September 14 (Saturday)– article deadline at 3 pm
September 14 (Saturday) 3-6 pm – read articles
September 15 (Sunday) noon – 9 pm – read articles
September 15 (Sunday) 5 pm – meeting to figure out which articles to ask authors to revise
September 15 – September 19 – authors revise articles and collective members communicate with authors
September 19 (Thursday) 6 pm – deadline for revisions from authors
September 19 (Thursday) 6 - 9 pm - read article revisions
September 20 (Friday) 6 - 9 pm - read article revisions
September 21 (Saturday) 10 am – NEW time for "all night meeting" where the collective decides what articles to put in
September 21 – September 27 – proofreaders proofread all articles BEFORE they get laid out
September 28/29 (Saturday/Sunday) – 10 am – late – layout for issue #114.
September 30 (Monday) – light proofreading of headlines and to check for layout errors – 6 pm
October 4 (Friday) – issue #114 back from printer
October 6 (Sunday) – mailing party for issue #113

I am beginning an all black and white photography zine. Name/title is pending, but I've got an idea for a theme and I want help from whoever out there is interested in helping. This first issue's theme is 'Beauty'. Wanting single images, photo essays, photos with words, photos of letters/words, whatever.

Can be about your own beauty regimen, your friend/girlfriend's/boyfriend's beauty regimen, your beauty products, makeup and cosmetics, hair, your idea of beauty, feeling ugly, feeling really pretty, feeling superficial, that bitch that called you ugly, that perv that called your feet beautiful, whatever! I'm leaving the interpretations up to you guys and will - of course - have my own art involved as well. Don't forget to leave me a name and all your zine and zine or personal contact info to include along with your work in this issue.

ALMOST FORGOT!

**The page and paper format will be the standard 1/2 page (8.5x11inch paper folded in half to 4.25x5.5inch). This is subject to change based on the scale and overall coolness (and I know they will be SUPER COOL!) of the submissions I'm able to collect.

If interested email your info and files to branch.ck@gmail.com until I get a separate email address for this zine which has yet to be named. Thanks guys!

Cheers!

- Christian

Greetings folks!

My creative vision for Turntable Operator has shifted. If the zine is going to continue, I would prefer that it focus on music reviews of all kinds of music (mostly physical releases) from the 1950s to the present, as well as band / musician discographies and record label interviews. In order to accomplish this, contributors are needed! So please spread the word and please consider sending me a music review or two or three (the more indie or obscure the better), or a discography or indie record company interview. My inner muse is telling me that Turntable Operator does not go forward without this evolution and without your help.

Electronic submissions: singinggrove@conknet.com

Physical submissions: 36 West Main Warner NH 03278. 

If I get enough response, and have the ca$h for printing and postage, this project should see print in early 2014.

Blessed be.

Attachments:

Dairy River is seeking submissions for Volume 11.  Submissions can relate to any topic, but we would be particularly interested in any of the following:  

• Deep histories of sounds intentionally generated by machines.
    • telephone sounds
    • early *.wavs
    • early video game music 
    • the history of most of these  
  • The use of samples in music 
    • the sounds of dogs barking and the train at the end of Pet Sounds
  • Non-verbal systems of sounds used for communication 
  • The future of sound. 
  • Anything about sound from a physics/mathematics perspective.
  • Fiction about sounds.
  • Synthesizers

Thanks!  E-mail dairyriver [at] gmail.com to submit or if you have any questions.  Deadline October 11th.  

A CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS FOR ZINE ABOUT MEN UNLEARNING SEXISM

I'm starting a zine that centers on sexual abuse and assault, with a focus on people who have acknowledged and confronted such things as sexism, misogyny, and abuse in their own lives. Generally people who have been sexual abusive(or any form of gender violence, from the subtle to the extreme) in their past but are committed to examining and deconstructing these beliefs and behaviors. 

Anything in the form of letters, quotes, stories, advice, etc, would be much appreciated. Insights into one's accountability process, things they have learned or still struggle with, analyses regarding cultural and political sexism and how that connects with oppressive behaviors in individual lives, etc. Text varying from a few sentences to several pages is acceptable.

These are just some basic ideas, but it's pretty much free-form in regards to content, as long as the underlying message is clear (as i hope i've made it, if not you can email me for further questions)
If interested, email me your info and writing at eulogyforabird32 [at] yahoo.com
deadline october 20th
Thanks for reading!

Cuneiform APA: Collecting Unique Notes Expressing Ideas For Original Reading Material

Cuneiform APA is open to people who participate by contributing material on a tri-quarterly basis. Due dates for material will be February 1, June 1, and October 1. Mailing should occur later during those months. Contributors are welcome to send up to 4 double-sided printed 8 X 11 pages of original material related to the following topics: 

• Zines & Zine Reviews
  • Micro journals and presses
  • Issues related to paper publishing / publishing in general in the digital age
  • Obscure and lesser known books, authors, zines, and music
  • Letters and writing / Postal mail / Mail art
  • Other topics related to philosophy, reading, life, the universe, and everything.
  • No poetry or fiction (up for debate)

The Official Editor decides whether material is thematically relevant for the APA.

Official Editor from February 2013 through June 2014 is James Dawson. Please mail 40 copies of your material to James Dawson at PO Box 950 Spokane WA 99210.

Copies of Cuneiform will be mailed to each member who contributes material and a couple of dollars toward mailing.

Sugared Water's reading period is open now through January 1, 2014.

http://sugaredwatermagazine.wordpress.com/

SW is a 56 page, half size literary magazine. From the website:
If we could candy words, we’d eat them to bellyaches every afternoon. We carry journals and collect chapbooks like Smaug ripping through a gold-sequin disco. If we’re lucky enough to leave something behind that enriches the dialogue of writerly types around the world, so much the better. Send us your stuff—we’ll only hoard it for a little while.

SW reads poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction, and also considers art in all media including comics and sequential art. Up to 4,500 words in prose, 5 poems, or 5 artworks. We are particularly interested in hybrid forms, and will read genre work, particularly speculative fiction.

Request short bio & cover letter with every submission. We read via Submittable.

http://sugaredwatermagazine.wordpress.com/submission-guidelines/

I am starting a new art zine, based around the theme of “Stuttering.” I am inviting anyone who is interested to creatively express your perceptions, experiences, stories, emotions, or information about stuttering through writing and visual art. I am seeking written material including narrative accounts, poems, and stories; as well as drawings, photography, collage, or any other creative means in which you would like to share your experiences, emotional responses, perceptions, thoughts, ideas, observations, commentary, or anything else relating to the theme of stuttering.

Other ideas: If you stutter, what would you like your listeners to know when you are speaking to them? Can you draw a picture of what it feels like to stutter? Do you have tips or techniques to share? This zine is yet-to-be-named and suggestions for titles are welcome by contributors.

The tentative deadline for submissions is November 1, 2013. The zine will be published in early December. Copies of the zine will be sent to those whose submissions are included.

The format of zine will be black and white, photocopied, 8-1/2 x 11 (half size).

Please email submissions, plus your name and contact info to stutteringvoices@yahoo.com

Also, feel free to spread the word to those who might be interested!

I thought I would talk about the next edition of Under The Influence. It will be called Under The Influence: Well Read, and will be a compilation of essays, stories, comics, drawing, collages etc. all about books and authors and stories you have read. It can be love letters to fictional characters or an essay about the best book-to-film adaptations! If you think you would like to contribute something to Well Read, you can email me at alexandraduguid@gmail.com, or even message me at the Facebook page. 

I have finally decided that the submission due date for Under The Influence; Well Read is SATURDAY NOVEMBER 9!
Please send me your stories, essays, letters, artwork, doodles, WHATEVER all about the books, authors, stories, novel characters you love and love to hate.

https://www.facebook.com/undertheinfluencezines

The Round Up Writer's Zine is a fresh space devoted to trangressive pieces, dark humor and works laced in sarcasm. In fact we are partisan to works that are edgy and/or possibly offensive.

We are currently looking for submissions for our next
full fledged issue to come out in January 2014.
Submissions include short stories, poetry and essays or
musings.

To be considered for our next issue of the Round Up you
must submit by December 20, 2013.

For information specifications and guidelines go to
www.roundupzine.com/submit

What:
Soupzine is creating its first submission zine for issue #11. 

The Theme is "Moving Out."

I am moving to a new state yet again, and I wanted to create a zine that shares stories about folks who make the big move. This can be any move: across town, for college, to a new state, for a boyfriend/girlfriend, for love, after a break up, to a new country, for work, etc...

Please share stories, artwork, comics, fiction, non-fiction, poetry...about an experience, advice, misadventures, humor, lesson, wisdom, rants, or abstract thoughts you've had with Moving Out.

When:

Dec: 1 deadline 

Details:
People whose submissions make it in the zine will receive both a print copy (color cover with b/w pages) and a full color digital PDF.

Zines will be sent out by Jan 1.

How:
This zine will be 11 x 8.5 half fold format.
Please send submissions to soupzine@yahoo.com

Thanks

Brian

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service