We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Call for Submissions Thread - all posts that are calls for submissions go here

In general calls for submission and announcements are to be posted on your blog and the forum is for questions and discussions. However, since people seem to think the forum gets more attention, let's use this thread - and this thread only - for any submissions wanted post.  Feel free to aslo post on your blog. Thanks!

Views: 4218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am planning on creating a zine tentatively titled: "walking through a car-driven world"

The premise of it is an attempt on my part to reflect on my impending car-less-ness in a state that does not have a reputation of good public transportation (all we have are buses, that are not known for their reliability, in RI), and gain inspiration from other people who go car-less in similar situations. 

There are several kinds of stories you can write:

The who, what, why, and hows of your choice (or lack of choice) to being car-less: you can focus on just a why or just a how, or do all of them, it's up to you.

Car-less tricks and tips

Especially I want to hear from people that do not have a good public transportation system in their state and how they supplement it (biking, walking, etc)

Biking safety/repair resources/tips

Walking/pedestrian topics (especially on walking long distances)

Finding work without a car, how do you approach the question in trying to find a new job 

I'd like to set a deadline for June 14, around the time I will no longer have a car and will need to rely on biking, walking, and the crappy bus.

Send any writings, pictures, responses or questions to me...at useyourwordszines (at) gmail [dot]com

Hey writers.  Help me out with this idea I've got about ministories and multiple universes.  Okay, it's more like alternate endings I guess.  Anyway, in a writing group that fell apart too quickly we took turns writing parts of a story.  This is like that exercise in abbreviated form.

Here's how it goes: I start a story on twitter and you reply with an ending.  And other people reply with an ending.  And we all see how many different ways it is taken.

Then I collect selected tweets into a zine.  How great it that?  Truthfully, I don't know how this is going to work.  It's up to you I guess.  

Bonus: Anyone who participated in this inaugural run get's their copy free of all charges, including shipping (within the US).

Bonus bonus: I'll include a surprise bonus with your copy.  What will it be?  A sticker?  A pin?  A T-shirt?  A bunny rabbit? Maybe all of the above!  Tweet and find out.

About Write The Rest

Write The Rest on twitter

I'd like to put together a poetry/short story zine. No theme to the book, but I'm looking for dark comedic, humorous, good word play, bizarre situations. Here's one of mine - http://iltcsc.blogspot.com/2012/05/carls-mum.html - which is a good example of the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

No title yet, but anyone who submits is welcome to suggest one.

Submissions, send here: derwoodmorris@gmail.com, and the deadline is Hopefully I've Got Enough For A Book Now, 2012-2013

Submissions open!
www.meetup.com/words-of-art-zine
Www.Nwndllc.Etsy.com

Zine trade? Yes, please.
Www.facebook.com/NWNDllc

NWNDllc 3231Creatives Ste.D
3231 Broadway Ave
Everett, WA 98201

So this is what I need:
a drawing of a sandwich (the person who said they would draw one for me has yet to get back to me)
an article about super heros
-blurbs of what makes someone a hero
-anything else :)

theavocadozine@gmail.com

Call for submissions for Forever After: A feminist fairy tale compzine

In classic fairy tales, there are only two real roles for women: princess and witch. Princesses are usually cast into unfortunate circumstances through no real fault of their own and are redeemed by the value of their feminine beauty and the kindness of strangers. Witches are queens or stepmothers characterized by ugliness, evil, and envy.

These archetypes are destructive to the kids who grow up without any real concept of how the stories might shape our lives. Are our lives complete without a romantic male lead? Is it really fair to villainize our moms based on a cartoon?

There is no doubt that we are making steps towards stronger female role models in pop culture. But … what if you could write a story for yourself as a kid? Or for your son or daughter?

Forever After is a compzine that will try to bridge that gap on a punk/zine/DIY level. Please submit stories, poems, cartoons, and photos to piratesarah@gmail.com.

Deadline is 7/1/2012. Contributors receive a copy of the finished zine.

Thanks! 

Hello! We plan to have our first issue out for June 7th. To make that possible, we need submissions! Send over anything from reviews, poetry, art/illustrations, photography and recipes. We have no theme for this issue so you can pretty much send us anything you like (within reason of course!) If you want to get in contact, send us a message over on our tumblr, zineaboutthat.tumblr.com or email us at beardsandstuff@live.co.ik
Thanks!

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE DIGITIZED – Open call for submissions!

WHO?  The Revolution Will Not Be Digitized is a half-size compilation zine with a focus on the manifestation of art, actions, and ideas in the real world.

WHAT?  What kind of things are you talking about, you ask? Well, all kinds, really:  zines, art, protest marches, coffee (or martini) dates for  in –person conversations, music, random street theatre, snail mail, anything that extends beyond the virtual to exist in our analog world.

“The Rev” (for short, b/c Kitty is lazy and also does not like acronyms that don’t spell anything) is in search of articles, poems, and rants; interviews with people who make shit/make shit happen; comics, art, photography, and illustration (image-based submissions must be black-and-white copy friendly); lists which inspire people to get out and do things; instructions on how to make/do/create something; etc.

WHY?  Because in an age where people’s lives become increasingly virtual, it is more important than ever to maintain a connection to the real. That is not to say that we are anti-internet. The internet is a fan-fucking-tastic tool. It is a means, though, not an end. The end is the world we live in: this analog, gritty, risky, crazy, physical, scary, beautiful, awesome world.

WHERE?  Email submissions can be sent to:  kittykerosene@gmail.com – mailing address will be sent along to anyone needing to mail their submissions.  (In other words, we need to get a new P.O. Box and didn’t want to wait to do that to post this. Just send us a message and within a few days we’ll get ya that info.)

WHEN?  Deadline June 30th, 2012.  If you submit and hear nothing back, then we’re swamped and likely not interested at this time, but that doesn’t mean we don’t love ya.

Right now, the plan is for this to be a one-off, but it may become an annual or something.  Who can say?

Email any questions to the address above, please and thanks.

Don’t email or comment with arguments about how the internet is great, though. We love the internet – two of us met and got married through it. Hell, we’re posting here on the internet to find like-minded people for this collaborative project. There’s nothing to convince us of when it comes to appreciation of the digital world. We just also think that there’s more to life than what comes down this crazy series of tubes.

X’s and O’s to everyone who makes shit!

Hey,

I'm a vinyl record collector and as a feminist girl I've noticed the vinyl record collecting scene is very oriented towards men and most vinyl record collecting forums, message boards and the like are not very welcoming to women which I find quite frustrating. Therefore, I've decided to create a zine about female music collectors and women musicians.

So to any female musician and/or female music collectors who read this, wether you collect vinyl records, CD's, cassettes or all of the above, I want to interview you and feature you on my zine, so please drop me a line!

Still looking for submissions, I've only gotten one so far and it's past the deadline.

I am planning on creating a zine tentatively titled: "walking through a car-driven world"

The premise of it is an attempt on my part to reflect on my impending car-less-ness in a state that does not have a reputation of good public transportation (all we have are buses, that are not known for their reliability, in RI), and gain inspiration from other people who go car-less in similar situations. 

There are several kinds of stories you can write:

The who, what, why, and hows of your choice (or lack of choice) to being car-less: you can focus on just a why or just a how, or do all of them, it's up to you.

Car-less tricks and tips

Especially I want to hear from people that do not have a good public transportation system in their state and how they supplement it (biking, walking, etc)

Biking safety/repair resources/tips

Walking/pedestrian topics (especially on walking long distances)

Finding work without a car, how do you approach the question in trying to find a new job 

The deadline was  June 14, around the time I no longer had a car and  need to rely on biking, walking, and the crappy bus. I have more experience now but am still nervous about doing certain things. Please get a submission in ASAP so I can move forward with this and so that people who submit can see the fruits of their efforts eventually.

Send any writings, pictures, responses or questions to me...at useyourwordszines (at) gmail [dot]com

Aberration Labyrinth Debut Issue : Call For Submissions

All submissions go through our submission manager. (http://aberrationlabyrinth.blogspot.com/p/submission-guidelines.html) Remember to review the detailed instructions before attempting a submission.

Please submit up to three poems. Submissions should either be pasted into the form or attached asa single WORD formatted document. Please do not submit three separate word files. This gums up our inbox. Submissions not adhering to these guidelines will be rejected without review.

Your complete submission should include a short (100 words or less) biography. Think outside the box for this. We do not want to publish a list of bragging rights. Instead, tell us something odd about yourself. If you have a penchant for sleeping while upside down, we'd be entertained to learn this. If you eat cottage cheese with marshmallow.... we don't want to try it, but we do want to read about it.

If you would like to send a picture, please e-mail this at the time of submission. (aberrationlabyrinth@gmail.com) In the subject line, please give the following information:  

YOUR NAME - POET BIOGRAPHY PICTURE

*Pictures must be your intellectual property. Please do not submit someone else's photography without express written permission.

Please submit only once per reading period. Aberration Labyrinth is a monthly publication that publishes 10-20 poems per issue. If we reject your work this time, that does not mean we don't like it. It simply means it was not right for the upcoming issue. Don't be discouraged. Try again.

Poems can range in length from 2 words to 2 pages. Please do not write us an epic. We do not want to read it. We DO want to read: Trash Poetry, Nerdy Poetry and Horror Poetry. Send only your best!

No simultaneous or previously published work. This is for FRESH poetry only. We claim first-time publication rights, but all rights revert back to the author on publication. . The publisher will keep the poetry active through the duration of the issue, after which it will be archived. Poems will only be taken down at the express request of the author and can only be removed after the issue has been taken down. If you publish this work again, please mention that you were first published here. 

*There is no monetary compensation for publication at this time. You will be notified if this changes.  For now, potential web notoriety will have to suffice.

Thank you and Write On!

Is this thread still valid? Anyone still looking for anything?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service