We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

call for submissions: "The Chemistry of Clean"

THE CHEMISTRY OF CLEAN

This publication will empower the reader with a working knowledge of the cleaning products we use in our daily lives and how they react with our environment. The contents will take a scientific look at the dangers of conventional cleaners and explain how all-natural alternatives are effective. There will be three components to the publication: a catalog of natural cleaners (like baking soda and borax) that includes an accessible explanation of their chemical properties, conventional cleaners and why they are harmful, and methods of resolving everyday cleaning issues with natural products. There will be articles about the history of cleaning, what people cleaned with before modern day cleaning products hit the shelves, what spawned the production and sales of "toxic" cleaning solutions, and some basic information about the cleaning product industry.

cartoon typewriterCALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

We are looking for artists, writers, and scientists to contribute articles about any aspect of the cleaning product industry, recipes for natural household cleaners (preferably illustrated because there are sooo many of the same recipes out there), reflections on cleaning experiences - comical how-tos or anecdotes, as well as nasty memories like swallowing bleach and being rushed to the emergency room or having to call the poison control center to save yer butt.

We welcome critiques or analysis of the way that conventional - and even all natural - cleaning products are marketed.

Contributors are welcome to submit "product profiles" that review either conventional or green cleaners, but should not be trying to plug or advertise a specific cleaner. For example, if you want to recommend a green cleaner, why do you think it's better than a homemade one?

We are not looking for op-ed pieces that could more accurately be described as "rants" against the conventional cleaning industry - articles need to include historical or scientific facts (and appropriate citations) to back up the information presented.

Illustrators and cartoonists or comix creators are welcome to submit any visuals so long as it involves cleaning in some way. Submissions with a how-to focus (see Erin Griffin's comix on my blog as an example) are greatly appreciated. We would also REALLY like to see visual pieces dealing with the political or economic aspects of the cleaning industry. We'd also love random drawings or illustrations of cleaning products and paraphenalia like bleach or spray bottles, lemons or boxes of baking soda. We aren't into brand names or labels, but you can do a parody - like a ripoff of "Mr. Clean."

The deadline for submissions is August 1st, but you are more than welcome to send stuff along wayyy before then - preferably we'd be receiving final drafts by Aug 1st. If you've got an idea of what you want to contribute, but don't have anything written or drawn and want some help shaping something you feel would be appropriate, get in touch!

Text should be submitted in the content of an email. Black & white images should be submitted as jpg or gif attachments. Please include "submission" in the subject line of any email you send and include the title of the manual in the text of your email. micropressproject(at)gmail(dot)com.

for more information http://pressproject.wordpress.com/

Tags: green, submissions, zine

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i while back, i read this article on reader's digest about everyday household/kitchen stuff used as cleaning materials (as alternative for the chemical ones). it was a hilarious article too... but i just cannot remember which issue it was. thought it was pretty interesting.
Your zine looks very interesting. I joined a Yahoo group with a similar focus and asked some questions on it. I got some helpful and friendly replies, but I would have liked more details. If it's still active, it seems to be just barely hanging on. Also, I wondered sometimes whether it was created to promote chemical-free-product businesses and alternative-health services. I don't object to that, but I'm interested in networking and DIY, not buying from others, which is a bit too pricy for me. Here's my post & the responses:

www.health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Homemade_Medicinal_Herbs/group/me...

Have you seen Ab by Bert & Holly Davis. That zine sometimes explores your zines issues. They've recently gotten a blogspot with the help of an internetter friend, though they don't do the Net themselves. You'd have to p-mail them if you wanted to communicate. I hope this link is right:

www.dwellingportably.blogspot.com

I would love to see your zine. Please let me know how much it costs and a physical address I can send payment. Thanks.
It has yet to come out. The deadline for submissions for this particular zine is August 1st. It will be printed sometime in the following months (I have a baby due at the end of September, so that might "hold things up"). I'm aiming to publish it a little more "professionally" than simple xeroxing, which will make it in the $5 range.

It's actually going to be part of a manual series that is going to focus on D.I.Y. resolutions to eco-based questions. You can check out http://newmamahubbard.wordpress.com/the-press-project to see where we're going with all this. Oddly enough, you'd be surprised by how few submissions we've received versus the interest in the project itself. I've got a lot of people working on stuff for the deadline, though, so I'm sure that we'll be getting some really quality stuff from people who are "professionals" in their respective fields.

You can email me at mmama[dot]hubbard[at]gmail[dot]com for an update on our progress at any point.

James N. Dawson said:
Your zine looks very interesting. I joined a Yahoo group with a similar focus and asked some questions on it. I got some helpful and friendly replies, but I would have liked more details. If it's still active, it seems to be just barely hanging on. Also, I wondered sometimes whether it was created to promote chemical-free-product businesses and alternative-health services. I don't object to that, but I'm interested in networking and DIY, not buying from others, which is a bit too pricy for me. Here's my post & the responses:

www.health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Homemade_Medicinal_Herbs/group/me...

Have you seen Ab by Bert & Holly Davis. That zine sometimes explores your zines issues. They've recently gotten a blogspot with the help of an internetter friend, though they don't do the Net themselves. You'd have to p-mail them if you wanted to communicate. I hope this link is right:

www.dwellingportably.blogspot.com

I would love to see your zine. Please let me know how much it costs and a physical address I can send payment. Thanks.
NEW WEBSITE FOR "THE PRESS PROJECT" AND "THE CHEMISTRY OF CLEAN"

you can email submissions to micropressproject[at]gmail[dot]com OR mmama[dot]hubbard[at]gmail[dot]com.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service