We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Typing up the raw copy for my next zine, I was surprised to have over 7,000 words begging to be edited. Up until now my zines have been anywhere between 2,000 and 3,000 words, turning into a 24 to 40 page 1/4 size zine.

My question is, can zines ever be too long? Are you turned off by mammoth-size zines, even if they are well written? Maybe they do the opposite?

What are your feelings on longer, more hefty-size zines?

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The only time a zine can be too long is if it is too thick for a stapler or if it isn't engaging.
This is my first post but I thought maybe my 2 cents would be valuable. Like many others have said, if the zine is well written and interesting, longer and more variety can be wonderful. If the zine is a lot of navel-gazing poetry, I think 1,000 words may be too many. That said, I am about to publish a new issue of my zine which will be 68 full-size, ad-free pages that I wrote and designed solo. Last time I checked, the word count was over 70,000 words. There's a lot of artwork and a good mix of short and longer pieces but when something is good, I want more of it.
I think Alex nailed it. As long as it's engaging, I'm always up for more!
My zines tend to be between 8,000 and 10,000 words, and average at 40 1/4 sized pages. I've never had any complaints about them being too long - they never feel too long to me either.

I personally love long zines, as long as the layouts aren't too boring (plain black words on white background tends to get really boring after a while). Short zines are always disappointing, and I usually feel that they're not worth the postage I paid. Small, thick zines are just wonderful.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service