We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Are your zines hand done, cut-and-paste or desktop published...or both?

How do you make your zines?

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I made my first issue with a computer, with scanned pictures resized etc. But I used a typewriter font... I wanted a handmade look but didn't have any printer or typewriter on that night. I still don't have, but I'm trying to make my second issue totally cut & paste.
I'm looking for one in france... so uncomon now.

mine are always cut and paste. mostly typewrited,

KellyRose-Pulse Zine said:
ditto 8)

miss tukru obscene said:
cut & paste for life.
Desktop publishing has always been fun for me, so that's what I do. But I try to add a few extra touches like stickers or stamps or something to make them a little bit personalized.
cut and paste!
i type and draw mine by hand and figure out the layout in a cut and paste kind of way, then i scan them all into photoshop, clean them up a little and make my type darker since my typewriter ribbon is perpetually running out of ink, and make pdf's to send to the printer. sometimes i'll do other digital tweeking, like inverting my handdrawn text so that it's white on black, etc, just to give it more punch. so a little of both i guess.
Mine are all cut and paste except for the cover page, which I like to do on the computer cos it looks fancy.
Cut-n-paste!!
Me too.

incurable hippie said:
Mine are generally typed on the computer, then totally cut and paste for layout. Except my 50:50 zines which are handwritten.
gotta confess, when I look at handwritten zines, my first instinct is to put it down and look for something else. Handwriting can be so hard to read sometimes.

I just do it on microsoft word. I feel like I have more flexibility, becuase you can always resize. And you can get teh same cut-and-pase effect with movable and rotatable textboxes.
If you have microsoft word, go to insert -> textbox. Then you can type in there and resize, rotate, etc., so its like cut and paste only cleaner.
Cut and Paste all the way!!! I love getting my hands dirty and really spending time getting my layout JUST perfect! As far as my text goes....I go back and forth between handwritting it and typing it on the computer. I like the fact that I can play around with different fonts when typing it up on my puter...but when it comes to the look and layout... I revert back to cutting and pasting with glue sticks.
I have three machines I compose my zines on:

1. A circa 1990 Brother WP-700D wordprocessor. The memory, a floppy reader, is broken, so I have to keep it on while I'm composing a zine on it. To save money, and sometimes for some reason I don't understand, the cartridge ribbons don't leave a good impression, I use old carbons I bought at yard sales for pennies.

2. A typewriter, or actually several over the years. Recently it's been a Silver Reed I bought for $5 at a lot sale.

3. A computer with 97 Windows operating system, and a 98 Word Perfect wordprocessing program. (I don't know if I'm using all this lingo right.)

Lately, I've been using very little graphics, but not because I'm indifferent to them, but just out of laziness and lack of time. My earlier zines tended to be much more visual and I'd like to do another more image-heavy zine soon. I find images in old encyclopedias, magazines, etc., xerox them, and then cut them out with scissors and, generally, fill in the spaces left by the text. Sometimes I go through considerable time and care in trying to select JUST THE RIGHT image. I also put in a lot of mini-flyers zinesters/bandsters have sent me.

I've used digital cameras, taken pictures, and uploaded them to E-Bay, so I have some experience with them, but I don't have the slightest idea how to layout images electronically. I have an old floppy I scrounged out of somebody's recycle bin that says "Photoshop" on it, and I've been thinking of popping it in my old computer and playing around with it, but my experience in trying to understand and manipulate digital photos on screen is so negative and has left such a bad memory in my head, I'm not particularly eager to. It's hard to explain, at least about 75% of the time, trying to do things electronically makes me feel horribly lost, stupid and defeated. So for me, with images and layout, it's PHYSICAL cut-n-paste, not so much because I think it looks better, or because it's "retro-cool", but because psychologoically, the process is so much more satisfying and pleasant. I feel more confident, creative and competent.

I'd like to TRY some of this high-tech stuff, and I think I should, but it's not a project I contemplate with much enthusiasm, and will probably procrastinate on for years before I do. Zine creation is supposed to fun and relaxing in challenging sort of way. I'm not sure how much point there is in putting myself through a lot of grief wrestling with a machine that confuses me so much.

Another thing I mentioned on an earlier discussion---I don't do cut and PASTE, but cut and (magic) TAPE. It seems to work okay. One reader told me my layout looked like it'd been done on a computer on a zine I did this way.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service