We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I studied Ancient History/Classics at uni, and it's a topic that interests me, but I haven't come across any zines on the topic. Has anyone seen some they can recommend? Or any history zines about any period?

Tags: history, recommendations, romans

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

haven't, but that's incredibly interesting. if you want to start one yourself, I'd love to read it!
I'm working on a "roman emperors- the good, the bad, and the ugly" if that interests you, hopefully with a matching badge set of a good emperor (Marcus Aurelius) a bad one (Caligula) and an ugly one (Nero). I'd love to find some zines about the topic too. I mean I like reading about vegetarians analysing their issues whilst riding their bike, but it's good to branch out, eh?
that sounds absolutely fantastic.

and haha, yeah, I know. sometimes I feel really left out because my bike is broken and I eat chicken sometimes...

Emma Jane Falconer said:
I'm working on a "roman emperors- the good, the bad, and the ugly" if that interests you, hopefully with a matching badge set of a good emperor (Marcus Aurelius) a bad one (Caligula) and an ugly one (Nero). I'd love to find some zines about the topic too. I mean I like reading about vegetarians analysing their issues whilst riding their bike, but it's good to branch out, eh?
I own a (pretty ludicrous, admittedly) bike and don't eat dead stuff, but I'm british goddamit. A nice cup of tea and a stiff drink solve all problems (and maybe a bit of fresh air for good measure)
tea definitely solves everything. fresh air is also good, but I'm a bit too wimpy to venture out into this Canadian winter wonderland right now.

Emma Jane Falconer said:
I own a (pretty ludicrous, admittedly) bike and don't eat dead stuff, but I'm british goddamit. A nice cup of tea and a stiff drink solve all problems (and maybe a bit of fresh air for good measure)
Hi

Did I send you my Roman philosophers zine? It was just a scrappy little thing but the intention was, and still is, to make it 1 of 4 anti-Roman zines that i would then envelope together in a bundle.
1 from the philosophers, 1 visual one about britannia/goddess being subjugated, 1 about something I've forgotten right now, (it might have been the death of Septimius Severus at York) and 1 pro - about the racial diversity of the Romano-British society up here locally (Iraqi boatmen from the river tigris used to transport goods across the Tyne where i work, and there were black soldiers on Hadrians wall, not to mention the n.africans, syrians, spaniards, slavs, etc.. and the Indian/African/Asian/Baltic goods, materials found here, and the sanctuaries to the ultimately African goddess & other religious stuff from abroad etc. etc. etc.)

Also there is mention of Roman bits in a few zines, I've definitely read one comparing American Imperialism with the old Roman Empire it but no memory of where that was. Apparently, I see 'civilisation will eat itself' from microcosm publishing has some Roman theme mentioned in it too...

All the best!
Emma Jane Falconer said:
You know what the most common letter home from Roman Soldiers on Hadrian's Wall was? It went something like "Dear Mum, It rains a lot in Britain, please send me some wooly socks and a big jar of fish sauce. Love Marcus."
My mediterranean friends send similar letters home today, and get hampers back.
They always come laden with olive oil and things like tomatoes on the basis that they taste different...

Emma Jane Falconer said:
You know what the most common letter home from Roman Soldiers on Hadrian's Wall was? It went something like "Dear Mum, It rains a lot in Britain, please send me some wooly socks and a big jar of fish sauce. Love Marcus."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service