We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Any interest in a zine review/interview blog?

Being a zinester and a blogger, i am often conflicted as to where to where to publish my content. So today i thought "why not combine the two?"

The advantages of having zine reviews in a blog would be great, as i could easily post pictures/excerpts, and links to distros where people can purchase the zine. I could also do short interviews with zine creators and appreciators. Much like zines, a blog about zines has endless possibilities.

I just wanted to see what other people thought of this.
-Would you be interested in reading a blog about zines?
-Would you submit your zine for review?
-Would you be interested in being interviewed?
-Would you like to contribute as a writer/reviewer?

any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!

Views: 24

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like the idea! I think blogs are a good format for zine reviewing. I think the challenge might be just organizing it if you're thinking of having multiple writers. --Margarat
i think it is a great idea. i can't speak for all, but I think most zinesters really rely on exposure through reviews (if not by word of mouth). Also, since anyone can access blogs (for the most part),it reaches a lot more people--which is great.
thank you for the feedback. The immediateness of blogs is what makes me think a zine review blog would be great, as sometimes it takes people months to get a zine with reviews out and by the time it gets into your hands and you read about a zine that interest you, the person may not have any copies left. And i could also update past reviews with notes when issues are sold out/not available anymore. Speaking from experience, i would love to keep all of my zines in print, but unfortunately i don't have the money or storage space to do that, and i doubt i'm alone on that.
yes.
I would be interested in all those things.
I think it is a good idea as long as you take it seriously and keep it up. There have been many of these types of blogs/websites that have popped up over the years and then absolutely nothing came of it.
Over a year after I first made this post, I finally got everything ready to start this. While it's only been public for a couple days now, my aim for Overglued is to be news, reviews, and interviews of zines, indie comics, and other small press publications. If you would like your zine or comic reviewed, my address is in the contact area of the website.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them
-Would you be interested in reading a blog about zines?
-Would you submit your zine for review?
-Would you be interested in being interviewed?
-Would you like to contribute as a writer/reviewer?

yes to all!!! that is a cool idea!! i like and would wanna be a part of all of them!!!
First off, I am a feminist so your zine would totally be up my alley to review. Secondly, thank you for bringing this up. I'll have to write up something in regards to what i do and don't want to review. Perhaps it might get it's own page instead of the contact page. Thanks for the suggestion, now you got me thinking of a lot of great ideas :)

Charlotte Lee said:
Just had a look through your site, it looks pretty ace! One thing though- does it say anywhere what kindof zines you are interested in reviewing? For example, i write a feminist zine and i would feel bad if i sent it to you for review and thats not the kinda thing you're into...
Thanks for your input (and compliment on the site). I wouldn't have taken this on if I didn't plan on sticking with it. As it shows from the first post, I've had this brewing for well over a year but wanted to wait until I could do it right/had the motivation to keep it going.

I definitely would love to trade links. I haven't quite decided how I'm going to do links on my site yet. Once I figure it out, I'll be in touch with you and links we shall trade!

Amber / Culture Slut said:
Somehow I missed this thread the first time around, but I just wanted to say that Nicole made an excellent point in suggesting that you take it seriously and keep it up. I can think of at least three review blogs that were started this year and died as soon as the blogger realized how much work it is. Yours looks pretty good so far.

I have a zine review blog, too. I think it's probably pretty obvious to regular readers what kind of zines I'm into, though I do specify on the sidebar not to send me music zines or zines with girl-hate, because otherwise... you're probably not gonna get a good review. And then I'll feel bad. I post interviews occasionally and write about my life in general, and I think it all goes together pretty well. Looking forward to seeing how yours comes along! Any chance you'd be up for swapping links?
I luv this idea! Please keep us posted on where you take this....the possibilities are endless. I could definately see myself sitting down and reading a blog about zines and reviews....to learn about what inspires other zinesters would be great!
Thanks a lot! There are many ways to stay up to date on what's going on at Overglued. There are links on the right side of every page where you call follow Overglued on Twitter, Facebook, or join our newsletter. And then there's always the ever useful bookmark! I would love to make constant updates here, but that would come off as spam if I made a new thread every time a new blog post went up.

riotgrrrlaz said:
I luv this idea! Please keep us posted on where you take this....the possibilities are endless. I could definately see myself sitting down and reading a blog about zines and reviews....to learn about what inspires other zinesters would be great!
I think this is a great idea! You could read about the zine on your blog and then quickly link to a distro (since so many are online) and pick it up!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service