We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I thought I would start a discussion about 24 Hour Zines.

Anyone revved up to start in on one at midnight tonight, as soon as we are officially in July? (Well, I'm sure in some parts of the world, it is already July.)

I decided to start mine at 6pm on July 10, after I get home from work and have some dinner. I picked a Friday to Saturday instead of a Saturday to Sunday because the copy shop I like is closed on Sundays. It's only open until 4pm on Saturday, but I'm pretty sure I can get my copying done before then. My plan is to stay up late on Friday night, sleep a few hours, finish writing and layout Saturday morning, make copies Saturday afternoon, and have all folding and stapling done by 6pm.

What plans do other folks have?

I am having a hard time not thinking about and planning my zine ahead of time. I do a lot of planning and writing in my head before I sit down at my computer, so my mind really wants to race ahead and figure out exactly what I want to do. I am having to concentrate on not thinking, which feels weird.

So post about your 24 hour zine as you're writing it (goals, frustrations, joys,) and tell us about it once you are done. I really want to know exactly how long people worked on theirs. I plan to keep close watch on the clock as I make mine.

Views: 75

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

According to the website:

The 24 Hour Zine Challenge asks zinesters to create a 24-page zine from conception to final product in 24 hours straight.

But, whatever, you still made a zine. Cool.

aaaand, it looks like I have to wait to do my zine. I am just so exhausted today - I think I slept two hours last night.
That's good. I have like, no attention span lately, so I applaud you.

Zacery Nova said:
To be fair, I did the bulk of it for 6 hours last night :D
I finished mine too - it's called "24 Things I've Made..." - it's my first zine, and perhaps I'm too old to be starting now - have been reading them for years. it's a little plain and I didn't get it done in a single 24 hour period, but it took less than 24 hours altogether. + I went into August, but it was probably still July in USA/UK or somewhere else in the world for part of it. but I'm happy I finished it as that was my goal. I only copied 7 copies but scanned it in tonight & made a pdf, though the formatting is different in the pdf. (I know lots of my friends would only read a pdf)

http://wemakezines.ning.com/profiles/blogs/24-things-ive-made-zine-for

it was a fun project though! I'll have to try some more.
I've finished mine! (Forgot to say before.) It's called Oliphant and is currently at the Home Office waiting for my husband to have a spare, quiet half hour to photocopy for me. I'd love to trade it for other 24-hour zines.
I would love to have a copy. I think I already sent you a copy of mine. Yes?

Eunice said:
I've finished mine! (Forgot to say before.) It's called Oliphant and is currently at the Home Office waiting for my husband to have a spare, quiet half hour to photocopy for me. I'd love to trade it for other 24-hour zines.
You're on the mailing list!

Chantel G. said:
I would love to have a copy. I think I already sent you a copy of mine. Yes?

Eunice said:
Here's a post about where to send your 24-Hour zine from the 24 Hour Zine Thing Website ( http://24hourzines.com/)

I hope everyone who signed up had a chance to write their 24-hour zine. Things always come up, they always do, so if you didn’t finish (or start) your zine, just think - you’ll have a chance to do it next year!

For those of you triumphant zinesters who have finished your zine, send a copy to:
Avocado Tree Distro
PO Box 2001
Abingdon, Va 24212

We’ll scan covers to add to the website, and send you back a zine and the 24hzt pin.
I've kept forgetting to post about my 24 hour zine!

How to Write a Zine or THE ART OF PROCRASTINATION
This is ostensibly about the process of creating a zine, but is really all about procrastination - its joys and frustrations, and contains various procrastination tools and ideas within :)

You can see details and / or buy with paypal at rebelgrrlzine.co.uk or contact me on here if you are interested in trading, or just send trades (for similar) to me at
Pippa
PO Box 4663
Sheffield
S1 9FN
United Kingdom.
I have my 24 Hour Zine challenge scheduled for tomorrow, beginning at 9AM!

Goals are:

+ Entirely self written (because I do compilation zines)
+ Less computer-dependent for layout (do some collages)
+ A size I've never done before: 3.5 x 8.5 (basically, 1/4 legal, if you took a legal sized sheet and folded it in quarters)

I only hope that the final product is what I envision!
I FINISHED!!! More details to follow, but here's a pic:

I made a 24-hour zine while I was spending a few weeks in Halifax, Nova Scotia. It was the first time I've made a zine while surrounded by a bunch of (lovely) people, as obviously it's usually something I do alone in my bedroom or whatever. Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with it. I wrote about adventures in Montreal and Halifax, long-distance Greyhound travel, swimming, going to the Farmer's Market, and more. It's available in my Etsy shop.
tomorrow is the Portland 24 hour zine challenge so by 10am on Sunday my 24 hour zine will be finished

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service