We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I thought I would start a discussion about 24 Hour Zines.

Anyone revved up to start in on one at midnight tonight, as soon as we are officially in July? (Well, I'm sure in some parts of the world, it is already July.)

I decided to start mine at 6pm on July 10, after I get home from work and have some dinner. I picked a Friday to Saturday instead of a Saturday to Sunday because the copy shop I like is closed on Sundays. It's only open until 4pm on Saturday, but I'm pretty sure I can get my copying done before then. My plan is to stay up late on Friday night, sleep a few hours, finish writing and layout Saturday morning, make copies Saturday afternoon, and have all folding and stapling done by 6pm.

What plans do other folks have?

I am having a hard time not thinking about and planning my zine ahead of time. I do a lot of planning and writing in my head before I sit down at my computer, so my mind really wants to race ahead and figure out exactly what I want to do. I am having to concentrate on not thinking, which feels weird.

So post about your 24 hour zine as you're writing it (goals, frustrations, joys,) and tell us about it once you are done. I really want to know exactly how long people worked on theirs. I plan to keep close watch on the clock as I make mine.

Views: 75

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They do have a 2009 participant list up here: http://24hourzines.com/participants

but they haven't added me yet :-S

and a couple of new blog posts: http://24hourzines.com/

Don't know much about it beyond what's on the site really, but I'm gonna give it a go.
I am working on mine this weekend. As with most of these kinds of time-limited projects (NaNoWriMo being another example), I tend to bend the rules to fit my own schedule/needs. As long as I get myself writing, I'm happy.
as far as i know there isn't. and even if there were, and they were weird and controlling enough to want to police 24 hours zines, how would they even do that? then again, maybe they haven't updated their site in a year to lull us into a false sense of security...

Sarah said:
I thought it was established that there isn't even a group organizing the 24-Hour Zine thing this year? The website hasn't been updated in over a year, there is no distro with it this year. No group=no one policing. Not that they probably ever policed to begin with.
Are we talking about different sites? The one I'm talking about has updated, has a 2009 participation list etc.

See a few posts up.

una crow said:
as far as i know there isn't. and even if there were, and they were weird and controlling enough to want to police 24 hours zines, how would they even do that? then again, maybe they haven't updated their site in a year to lull us into a false sense of security...

Sarah said:
I thought it was established that there isn't even a group organizing the 24-Hour Zine thing this year? The website hasn't been updated in over a year, there is no distro with it this year. No group=no one policing. Not that they probably ever policed to begin with.
sorry, didn't mean to spread misinformation while i was playing :)

incurable hippie said:
Are we talking about different sites? The one I'm talking about has updated, has a 2009 participation list etc.

See a few posts up.
No worries :)

una crow said:
sorry, didn't mean to spread misinformation while i was playing :)

incurable hippie said:

See a few posts up.
I got mine finished, we had a Zine Social night in Brighton, I did some in the day, and then finished it off in the evening with friends at our vegetarian potluck supper, the best way to do things. I got my one copy done for the sending off, but haven't done more yet, because I wanted to use a better copier than the one available to me late at night in the corner shop! Mine has an anecdote about when I tried to teach myself to like gin, a bit about going to the London Zine Symposium, top 5s of stuff like the best songs the Fall ever covered, current enthusiamsn and a vegan lemon & chile stirfry recipe. It's basically like my normal zine, but with smaller pages (24x 1/6th A4 rather than my normal format of 24x1/4 A4 basically). I used pictures photocopied from a vintage picture dictionary from the 70s I found at the school where I work.
I am *so* close to done! It's basically all done except I need to take it to be copied. Yey!

When it's all printed and stapled and all that I'll post about it :)
I've just started my zine! Yay :D
in an all out zine binge i exhausted myself by completing my 24hour zine in 6hours! Im recovering this afternoon....missed work. Well worth it. experimented with an unfamiliar format and did my first binding GO DENTAL FLOSS!!! here's the cover

i say it COUNTS. :) yup it's official now. wooohoo! go zine month!
I think the 'officials' would think you were cheating, but not many other people would. For most people it's a motivation to have a deadline and a short time to work in. It doesn't have to be more strictly defined than that, and as you did the work in no more than 24 hours, for me that would be fine.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service