We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I thought I would start a discussion about 24 Hour Zines.

Anyone revved up to start in on one at midnight tonight, as soon as we are officially in July? (Well, I'm sure in some parts of the world, it is already July.)

I decided to start mine at 6pm on July 10, after I get home from work and have some dinner. I picked a Friday to Saturday instead of a Saturday to Sunday because the copy shop I like is closed on Sundays. It's only open until 4pm on Saturday, but I'm pretty sure I can get my copying done before then. My plan is to stay up late on Friday night, sleep a few hours, finish writing and layout Saturday morning, make copies Saturday afternoon, and have all folding and stapling done by 6pm.

What plans do other folks have?

I am having a hard time not thinking about and planning my zine ahead of time. I do a lot of planning and writing in my head before I sit down at my computer, so my mind really wants to race ahead and figure out exactly what I want to do. I am having to concentrate on not thinking, which feels weird.

So post about your 24 hour zine as you're writing it (goals, frustrations, joys,) and tell us about it once you are done. I really want to know exactly how long people worked on theirs. I plan to keep close watch on the clock as I make mine.

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bri_Zine and i are getting together soon to do our 24 hour zines. keep each other pumped up and such!
I'm doing my zine tomorrow night. I am really excited! I should go to bed now so I won't be exhausted tomorrow after work, but instead I'm messing around here.
I just finished my 24 Hour Zine! I finished stapling them...ready to go! I am going to write more about it on my blog. Oh, i should take a photo of the cover so I can post that too.
My first ever 24 hour zine is ready for you!

It is called Open Book, and it's a half size perzine .

It includes 38 things about me (and a shout out to Eunice for the idea), the story of why I live in Lawrence, KS, writing about my body image issues, and a piece about my recent run in with 81 chiggers and a tick. There's more, but I'll let some things be a surprise.

If anyone wants a copy, send me a buck ($1), or let's trade your lovely zine for my lovely zine.

You can write to me at

PO Box 1483
Lawrence, KS 66044
I've decided to make a 24 hour zine on my birthday, July 16. Better than feeling depressed!
I already wrote about this in another thread, but it fits here too.

Unfortunately there's is absolutely no way I can block off 24 hours straight to do the 24 Hour Zine Thing, so instead I'm carefully monitoring time spent on creating an issue so it totals no more than 24 hours during the rest of July. While I appreciate the idea of doing a zine in solid 24 hour block, with working full time, commuting, intense family stuff, and two weekends already shot this month, for me it can't be done that way. Maybe that's "cheating" but I just see it as applying the spirit of the project in a different way. (Kind of like how some National Novel Writing Month people use a summer month to do their novel instead of November.) I see it as a challenge to me because I will be writing all the content, as opposed to the compilation zines I usually do with multiple contributors. If the theoretical "24 Hour Zine Police" don't like it, oh well.
my bdays are usually depressing too. unless im out drinking with friends...

anyways, on another note, i thought i read somewhere that you cannot make a 24 hour zine thing with a friend or anyone.. that it has to be an individual project. was i just having visual hallucinations?? :O

Zacery Nova said:
Depressed? On your birthday?! Birthdays usually cheer me up :-(

redguard said:
I've decided to make a 24 hour zine on my birthday, July 16. Better than feeling depressed!
if this is okay, then it might be my last desperate resort to still be able to make one within the month... uni sucks... eats up all my time... or at least i have to pretend that it does

Aj Michel said:
I already wrote about this in another thread, but it fits here too.

Unfortunately there's is absolutely no way I can block off 24 hours straight to do the 24 Hour Zine Thing, so instead I'm carefully monitoring time spent on creating an issue so it totals no more than 24 hours during the rest of July. While I appreciate the idea of doing a zine in solid 24 hour block, with working full time, commuting, intense family stuff, and two weekends already shot this month, for me it can't be done that way. Maybe that's "cheating" but I just see it as applying the spirit of the project in a different way. (Kind of like how some National Novel Writing Month people use a summer month to do their novel instead of November.) I see it as a challenge to me because I will be writing all the content, as opposed to the compilation zines I usually do with multiple contributors. If the theoretical "24 Hour Zine Police" don't like it, oh well.
I'm going to do it! I spend so much time planning zines in my head, and never making them, so the 24 hour zine thang seems like a good way to get something down on paper and finally done!

But clearly a zine already planned in my head isn't allowed, so I'll work out what it'll be about when I start.

I'm excited!! (New here btw, been reading for a few days)
Well, I finished my zine ... the first time I've done a cut-and-paste one, so I'm pretty proud. It's a paen to my favorite movie: On Loving 'Dracula'

I Am said:
my bdays are usually depressing too. unless im out drinking with friends...

anyways, on another note, i thought i read somewhere that you cannot make a 24 hour zine thing with a friend or anyone.. that it has to be an individual project. was i just having visual hallucinations?? :O

Zacery Nova said:
Depressed? On your birthday?! Birthdays usually cheer me up :-(

redguard said:
man, these 24 hour zine thing police are starting to sound like jerks.

I Am, go ahead and make a 24 hour zine with a friend. it's crazy fun. besides, the point is to encourage people to make zines, not discourage them with onerous work, writer's block and isolation.

I Am said:

ooo, that sounds really good!

redguard said:
Well, I finished my zine ... the first time I've done a cut-and-paste one, so I'm pretty proud. It's a paen to my favorite movie: On Loving 'Dracula'

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service