We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I thought I would start a discussion about 24 Hour Zines.

Anyone revved up to start in on one at midnight tonight, as soon as we are officially in July? (Well, I'm sure in some parts of the world, it is already July.)

I decided to start mine at 6pm on July 10, after I get home from work and have some dinner. I picked a Friday to Saturday instead of a Saturday to Sunday because the copy shop I like is closed on Sundays. It's only open until 4pm on Saturday, but I'm pretty sure I can get my copying done before then. My plan is to stay up late on Friday night, sleep a few hours, finish writing and layout Saturday morning, make copies Saturday afternoon, and have all folding and stapling done by 6pm.

What plans do other folks have?

I am having a hard time not thinking about and planning my zine ahead of time. I do a lot of planning and writing in my head before I sit down at my computer, so my mind really wants to race ahead and figure out exactly what I want to do. I am having to concentrate on not thinking, which feels weird.

So post about your 24 hour zine as you're writing it (goals, frustrations, joys,) and tell us about it once you are done. I really want to know exactly how long people worked on theirs. I plan to keep close watch on the clock as I make mine.

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The PZS 2nd Annual 24hr Zine Challenge is now streaming live, come watch us live!: http://ustre.am/4dmk -

Derek Neuland said:
tomorrow is the Portland 24 hour zine challenge so by 10am on Sunday my 24 hour zine will be finished
how how do people prepare for this? do you like hibernate for a day, get enough sleep and rest before the big attempt day or what?
Saling Pusa Distro/denisedenies said:
how how do people prepare for this? do you like hibernate for a day, get enough sleep and rest before the big attempt day or what?

The night before I started, I got all of my supplies gathered up and put in a box and then got a solid night's sleep. That's about it as far as preparation.
and you started right when you wake up? i am trying to prep myself to do it tomorrow... but i don't know, I have to be in the right mood for it I guess.

Aj Michel said:
Saling Pusa Distro/denisedenies said:

The night before I started, I got all of my supplies gathered up and put in a box and then got a solid night's sleep. That's about it as far as preparation.
yeah, i'd like to try this.. but not thinking about it in advance is really impossible for me.. writing, cutting, pasting, printing.. i wonder if i could manage it all in 24 hours.. i'll have to wait till i have a day off without interruptions..

Done! :D I kinda regret not making my entire print run within the 24 hours... i succumbed to sleep :(

I made a time log for that day with some pictures of the original on my blog
Happy International Zine Month!

To celebrate, the Toronto Zine Library is participating in the 24 hour zine challenge and we would love for you to join us! We are hosting a kick off event this Wednesday, July 28th starting at 5pm and going strong until the Tranzac Club closes.

Bring your ideas and if youre able a snack to share while we hang out, listen to music, and get a start on our 24 hour zines! Some supplies will be available (paper, glue, scissors, magazine clippings, a couple of typewriters, a long arm stapler) but please do bring your favourite or necessary zine making supplies. Conveniently, there is a 24 hour Kinkos a half-block away!

Also, similar to the event folks at the Independent Pubishing Resource Center (http://www.iprc.org/) in Portland Oregon held a few days ago, we will be streaming our 24 hour zine challenge event live! If you're unable to join us, bookmark http://www.ustream.tv/channel/toronto-zine-library-24hr-zine-challe... and tune in on Wednesday starting at 5pm EST and participate alongside us from wherever you may be.

Ok, to recap:

WHEN: wednesday july 28th, 5pm until close
WHERE: the toronto zine library -- 2nd floor of the tranzac club -- 292 brunswick st. just south of bloor. close to spadina subway station
COST: free!
WHAT: 24 hour zine challenge kick off
BRING: yourself, your friends, snacks, creativity, zine making supplies, ideas

Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=138008569562984&index=1

Holler at us if you have any additional questions or concerns. We regret that the TZL is not a wheelchair accessible space.

The Toronto Zine Library
292 Brunswick Ave, 2nd floor
torontozinelibrary@gmail.com
http://torontozinelibrary.blogspot.com
please note that the toronto event tonight now starts at 6pm, not 5pm! thanks. hope to see you there!
I finished mine a few hours ago. It was super fun while doing it, in a frenzied sort of way but the end product I am not thrilled with. I also found because I didn't have a filter while writing it it is intensely personal and not fit to be shared with anyone.

Oh well at least I did it!

I made one this year also - called "remuxed". it seems I only make one a year. hopefully I can improve upon this for 2011.

scanned version @ remuxed zine
hello everyone!
i made a 24-hour zine last month; actually this was my first zine ever :)

copies of Ladybug #1 available for 1 euro, plus postage. or a trade for other zines. hey, i'm looking for other European zinesters to trade zines with!
* check this post for details, pics & info *
I finally made a 24 hour zine this year at the IPRC 24 hour zine challenge. I don't have any photos but Derek reviewed it at Overglued. it is about all of the post boxes I have had and the things that were going on in my life at the time. I'll have them at the Portland Zine Symposium and on the Zines On Toast tour.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service