We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Why did you start a zine?

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used to write a school newspaper - with topics like "Jesus loves Ellen, Ellen Undecided About Feelings", "Bullying, the Answer to Everything" and the such. Oddly enough I didn't actually have the school's permission and eventually they told me if I didn't stop they'd expel me, so I put the energy into making a zine with friends. Now I make zines when I don't want to do 'real' work.
honestly, I've been doing this so long that I don't really remember what originally sparked me. I was 9 and weird, I guess?

now... I just need a creative outlet. something where my voice is the only thing that matters, something that I can send all over the world and make a name for myself with. something to indulge my ego, to talk about what I want to talk about, and to imagine that someone is reading my views on life and laughing/relating/whatever.

there's just nothing better than photocopying something YOU made.
I dunno.
It's what I do instead of drugs (usually) ;)
i was enjoying a lot of drugs. the drive to create just comes with that territory, so i made my first zine.

didn't realise at the time where my head was at, or what i needed to say. it became clear after making another couple of zines that i had some dark stuff that needed to come out constructively. it had turned into some kind of escape, cos once i sorted out what was wrong in my life, i just lost the drive.

even though stuff was still a bit wrong, it wasn't fucked up in the same way as before. my life was "a healthy kind of wrong," i guess you could say - and i didn't need zine-making to help fix that.

now, i make zines cos i enjoy it. it's fun again. :)

i don't take as much drugs as before, though - one of my favourite things to do was to smoke a little, have warm tea and sit at the typewriter. but that's now the treat, rather than the staple. ;D star, honey, i so hear you. hehehe...
The medium really appealed to me as a writer and photographer. It was a way to combine my love of collage and writing and photography, a way for me to get my work and voice out, a way to get out my angst and I love making things with my hands.
one of my favourite things to do was to smoke a little, have warm tea and sit at the typewriter

mmmmm, if only I still had a working typewriter... that sounds like perfection.
I had never heard of zines when I got back from the Peace Corps in 1993. But my new boyfriend had been writing them since high school and had a whole shelf of them in his apartment. I read them. And I thought: I'm a writer. I could do this.
I created 'zines back in the early 90's.
You sent your issue to Factsheet 5 for review and advertisement. Factsheet 5 was everywhere all over the world, and at the time a great networking device to get your work to others outside of the mainstream.
This was long before the internet, and was the only source I ever new of.
During the late 80's and early 90's I was trying to make it as a commercial artist, the work I continuously found was deeply unsatisfying... 'zines were a fantastic outlet for letting my creative imagination fly freely, and to reach others as well. It was an exciting time and a great experience.
I published my own stuff for a few years, and also contributed to other 'zines as well.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service