We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I just received the following information from Jerianne of Zine World. I thought I would share it with everyone.

The Postal Service has discontinued Bound Printed Matter as an option for folks like us. Here's info from the USPS website:

DMM Revision: Postage Payment for Bound Printed Matter Limited to Permit Imprint

In March, we filed a notice with the Postal Regulatory Commission for a classification change requiring all mailings of Bound Printed Matter be paid by permit only. The Commission agreed, and we are moving forward with the change.

Effective September 11, 2008, the Postal Service is revising the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) 363, 364, 365, 366, 463, 464, 465, 466, and 604 for all Bound Printed Matter (BPM). Postage payment for all BPM mailings: carrier route, presorted, and nonpresorted (single-piece) flats and parcels, regardless of volume, are
limited to permit imprint. Mailers can no longer affix postage by adhesive stamps, postage meter, or PC Postage. BPM will not be accepted at retail counters, in collection boxes, or by carriers and must be deposited and accepted at the Post Office facility that issued the permit.

In other words, you can no longer, as an individual, use Bound Printed Matter for individual mailings sent with stamps or printed postage. There is more information about how to use Bound Printed Matter, with permit, posted at the Zine World website. http://www.undergroundpress.org/

Much like the changes made last year for discount mailings for periodicals (see Zine World #25 for details), these changes raise barriers for small publishers,
and therefore inhibit dissemination of information by mail. If this ticks you off as much as it does me, I hope you will contact the Postal Service and complain:

1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777) select More Options

Policy and Program Development, USPS Headquarters or

Postmaster General Jack Potter
475 L'Enfant Plaza SW
Washington DC 20260-0010

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wait, I'm a little confused. My questions might seem a little stupid, but I don't seem to understand this.

Does that mean the zines that put the address they are mailing to and the stamp on the back of the zine instead of put the zine in an envelope can't do it anymore? Or what?
Not if you are mailing media mail or first class or what not. This is just for mailing as Bound Printed Matter.

darlingdisasters said:
Wait, I'm a little confused. My questions might seem a little stupid, but I don't seem to understand this.

Does that mean the zines that put the address they are mailing to and the stamp on the back of the zine instead of put the zine in an envelope can't do it anymore? Or what?
Okay, well, I usually never mail media mail. I usually always do it first class because that's usually cheaper.

NicoleIntrovert said:
Not if you are mailing media mail or first class or what not. This is just for mailing as Bound Printed Matter.

darlingdisasters said:

Hey DarlingDisasters,

Bound printed matter is totally separate from media mail. You would know if you had been using it.

FIrst class mail IS usually cheaper if you are sending something rather light. I believe media mail can only be used if mailing something over 7 ounces. So if you are just mailing one regular size or small zine, first class is probably going to be cheaper. But if someone orders a whole bunch of zines from you, or if you are ever sending anyone a book, media mail may be worth checking into.

As it's been said elsewhere, if you are ever sending a bunch of zines media mail and the postal worker asks you what's in the envelope, it's better to say "booklets" or "pamphlets" rather than "zines" or "magazines." Most postal workers are not likely to know what a zine is, and if you say "magazine," the worker is likely going to think of People or Newsweek or some slick thing with ads. (Items sent media mail cannot include ads.)

The Zine World website http://www.undergroundpress.org/ has a wealth of information about mailing and please, everyone continue to ask questions on the forums. I think it's really great that we can help each other this way.
Oh, okay then. Plus, it's been a good year and a half, almost two years since I've mailed out a zine. Thank you!

Chantel G. said:
Hey DarlingDisasters,

Bound printed matter is totally separate from media mail. You would know if you had been using it.

FIrst class mail IS usually cheaper if you are sending something rather light. I believe media mail can only be used if mailing something over 7 ounces. So if you are just mailing one regular size or small zine, first class is probably going to be cheaper. But if someone orders a whole bunch of zines from you, or if you are ever sending anyone a book, media mail may be worth checking into.

As it's been said elsewhere, if you are ever sending a bunch of zines media mail and the postal worker asks you what's in the envelope, it's better to say "booklets" or "pamphlets" rather than "zines" or "magazines." Most postal workers are not likely to know what a zine is, and if you say "magazine," the worker is likely going to think of People or Newsweek or some slick thing with ads. (Items sent media mail cannot include ads.)

The Zine World website http://www.undergroundpress.org/ has a wealth of information about mailing and please, everyone continue to ask questions on the forums. I think it's really great that we can help each other this way.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service