We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

What's the best program to use when making a zine?

Hello :) I've just joined today, came about this website while looking for information on how to assemble a zine once all the parts have been drawn.

I wanted to know if there is some kind of computer program where I can create a book, layout and all, then print it. I've searched all the document types, but I couldn't find anything double sided.

It's A5. Thanks so much, really appreciate help on this one.

Views: 21006

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

InDesign is always perfect if you can wrap your head around it. 

hi alphabet zoo,

i'd say like most things in the zine world there is no specific formula. i have found that giving people access to a zine master (i.e.: my laid out zine that i would feed through the photocopier) is a really useful way to help them think about the move from writing and layout to the photocopied object that is a zine. i also tend to take a long loads of different kinds of zines for people to look at so they can see the diversity of things that qualify as 'a zine'.

best wishes!

anna

alphabet zoo said:

Hello, we have been running zine workshops down here in South Africa for the past year and a half but we not sure if we are doing it all right. Is there a specific formula for running zine workshops? Are there rules on what NOT do when running a zine workshop?  

Holy Shit bro! thanks for making this. You even had your pages laid out right for odd and even printing on a one side machine.. You have no idea how many people fuck that up. This looks like a great general guidebook and I'm so glad it printed off fine the first time. 

Milo said:

Several years ago I made a "booklet" for work (it's not a zine, right *wink*) called "Layout for Non-designers". It was made specifically for the students/instructors and focuses a little on Quark XPress. The overall concepts, however, may be a good guide. Emma, in your case take a look at page 6. It explains my zinester math to doing layout.

It's uploaded as a PDF file, and can be printed 2-sided and stapled.

xoMilo

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service