We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

What's the best program to use when making a zine?

Hello :) I've just joined today, came about this website while looking for information on how to assemble a zine once all the parts have been drawn.

I wanted to know if there is some kind of computer program where I can create a book, layout and all, then print it. I've searched all the document types, but I couldn't find anything double sided.

It's A5. Thanks so much, really appreciate help on this one.

Views: 19345

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Likewise.
Doing the cutting and pasting is probably my favourite part of making a zine.

Emma Jane Falconer said:
I just print out the individual paragraphs and lines on one sheet of paper, cut them out and glue them to a handmade template. It makes it less aggravation for me, and gives me complete layout control.
<---- cut and paste gal myself..
I've found the best program for myself is a manual typewriter. I do layout with a ruler and a box knife and lots of glue! I have nothing against computers, I just don't care to use them for making zines.
paper, glue, cisors and the ol' typewriter 1.0 (the only thing who doesn't need an upgrade)
Hey. I'm assuming that MP is Microsloth Publisher? I've been using that since 2.0 and haven't needed to upgrade since Pub'98. That being said, I only use it for layout and basically use the Blank Document | Special Fold | Booklet | Landscape | for A4 paper size (although sometimes I use A5 to make an A6 booklet). I get all my text sorted out in a simple text editor like Editpad or Roughdraft. If you have a printer that can print double-sided then you can run off one copy after another no problems. If not then you need to be kind of exploratory and work out how best to collate your single-sided sheets to make them double-sided.

Alex Wrekk wrote a great little zine on Cut'n'Paste layout that I remember downloading from the Fall Of Autumn website. Once you can wrap your head around layout for pages in a booklet, you're pretty much sorted. Think in fours.

I like using Publisher simply because I feel I have more control over the layout and I personally don't like the look of what I produce when I cut and paste. I know that with practice I'd improve on that but I'm happy with what I produce now and while I definitely don't feel part of the mainstream zine community by doing it the way I do it, it comes down to a certain "meh (shrugs)" factor for me. I have molto respect for people so dedicated to cut and paste layout. It's just not for me. Good luck!

- Adam

Anna Xen said:
how, short of a step by step guide can I use MP to better aid in my Zine making?

Milo said:
Several years ago I made a "booklet" for work (it's not a zine, right *wink*) called "Layout for Non-designers". It was made specifically for the students/instructors and focuses a little on Quark XPress. The overall concepts, however, may be a good guide. Emma, in your case take a look at page 6. It explains my zinester math to doing layout.

It's uploaded as a PDF file, and can be printed 2-sided and stapled.

xoMilo

Awesome !

Jeff Somers said:
I use Open Office to write (www.openoffice.org) and Scribus for layout (www.scribus.net). Both free, both work on Mac/Linux/Windows. both rock. Scribus can take a few days to get used to. Better than spending $$$ on huge bloated programs when you can get huge bloated programs for free. I also use GiMP for image manip (www.gimp.org).

I was making my zine (60 pages digest sized) exclusively in Open Office for a while. It was a bit clunky as OO (or Word or ANY word processing program) isn't really made for laying out a zine, but it worked just fine with some patient tweaking.

J

Thx for sharing those free online resources !!!

i used microsoft word 2007 to make my zine, but honestly, i would have rather used word 2003.

the booklet layout on 2007 doesnt work properly, but it does in 2003. also, 2003 is more user friendly, i find.

I write my zine in an app called Scrivener, which I think is Mac-only. It's a program designed for writing novels or plays and lets you have pasteboards, multiple documents, images, sounds, videos, whatever. Then when the copy is good and ready, I do all the design in QuarkXPress, which is the only app I have used since I started my zine in 1997. Actually, it's been my go-to app since 1989. And I am a nut because I paid for both of these apps.
In the past i've used Microsoft Word or other word processing programs to print out the text or graphics and cut and paste onto paper. i've also used Microsoft Publisher until i lost the cd somewhere and wanted to use better sorftware. right now i am experimenting with a program that is called Serif PagePlus essentials that has PDF capabilities as you've described that you wanted . i was lucky to catch it on sale at Amazon for $0.00 but i think the regular price is well under $50.00. but there is a open-source program that ive heard good things about called Scribus http://www.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus - i may try that again myself, but i get a case of the stupids when i deal with open source, i  hope this helps you out more.
Milo, thanks a lot for the file!!

Milo said:
Several years ago I made a "booklet" for work (it's not a zine, right *wink*) called "Layout for Non-designers". It was made specifically for the students/instructors and focuses a little on Quark XPress. The overall concepts, however, may be a good guide. Emma, in your case take a look at page 6. It explains my zinester math to doing layout.

It's uploaded as a PDF file, and can be printed 2-sided and stapled.

xoMilo
gluesticks, scissors and pens!  I own a typewriter too which is fun but I would just a simple program like word and just cut it out.  But handwriting a zine can also give it a cool personal touch if you can write legible

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service