We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

What's the best program to use when making a zine?

Hello :) I've just joined today, came about this website while looking for information on how to assemble a zine once all the parts have been drawn.

I wanted to know if there is some kind of computer program where I can create a book, layout and all, then print it. I've searched all the document types, but I couldn't find anything double sided.

It's A5. Thanks so much, really appreciate help on this one.

Views: 15983

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You might just need to think laterally with a regular word processing package, or create your own template in photoshop.. The double sided bit will also depend on your printer more than the computer program.

Part of the fun of making a zine for me is the cutting and sticking process, so I tend to do each A5 side individually and put a master copy together by hand. When I've designed programmes or brochures, I tend to use my own custom template in photoshop and send a pdf to print. Remember that the pages won't be consecutive, so you'll need to know how many your working with :)

I think this is a question for layout artists & will definitely be interested to see what other anwers you get!
I just print out the individual paragraphs and lines on one sheet of paper, cut them out and glue them to a handmade template. It makes it less aggravation for me, and gives me complete layout control.
Several years ago I made a "booklet" for work (it's not a zine, right *wink*) called "Layout for Non-designers". It was made specifically for the students/instructors and focuses a little on Quark XPress. The overall concepts, however, may be a good guide. Emma, in your case take a look at page 6. It explains my zinester math to doing layout.

It's uploaded as a PDF file, and can be printed 2-sided and stapled.

xoMilo
Attachments:
type it up in word and then use old school cut and paste.
I used PrintMaster by Broderbund. I just got version 17 which allows me to create my 'zines as PDF documents without hassle. They have a 'newsletter' format that I start with and when I print, double-sided printing is an option.

As far as hard copies go, I do my own printing at Office Depot for mass distribution.
Kate A-T said:
The best program I've found are scissors, paper & glue, assisted by my hands. Works like a charm every time!

Are those the model 220 hands with the PinchyThumb (tm), or the older model?
to Mrs Norman:

I have corel draw rather than photoshop, which is the same sort of thing (?) So far I've really only used to it adjust photos of my paintings and toys, but I'll have to see what else it can do ;)

I guess mine is more of a sketchbook than a zine, but I'm going to try to publish a new one monthly, and it's all handmade, which makes it a zine right? You're bang on about the fun, assembling things yourself fun that is. I got this wierd sense of satisfaction stapling into the carpet then picking them up and folding the staples in by hand.
Yeah, I have a friend who writes a zine and does it all your way. Each year in Newcastle we have a festival called "This is Not Art", all the a-typical artforms are represented, and the Sunday at the end of the week has a Zine fair.

Anyway, my friend sold t-shirts with a zine stapled to the front, that said "All your paragraphs are belong to me" or something like that. She did pretty well :)

Emma Jane Falconer said:
I just print out the individual paragraphs and lines on one sheet of paper, cut them out and glue them to a handmade template. It makes it less aggravation for me, and gives me complete layout control.
Omg Milo you are my new BFF! Seriously, I really like the font you used for the title.

When I first started Uni I was in graphic design. I didn't have a clue what it was, had never used the internet (1997) and totally failed all my computer classes while getting HD's in illustration. So I feel a vaugue guilt atm that I don't know how to do this stuff. Thankyou so much for your booklet, it's great :)

Milo said:
Several years ago I made a "booklet" for work (it's not a zine, right *wink*) called "Layout for Non-designers". It was made specifically for the students/instructors and focuses a little on Quark XPress. The overall concepts, however, may be a good guide. Emma, in your case take a look at page 6. It explains my zinester math to doing layout.

It's uploaded as a PDF file, and can be printed 2-sided and stapled.

xoMilo
I currently use Microsoft Publisher and Adobe Pagemaker, both are good, they allow you to use the "booklet" function and layout is simple and printing is easy, it will print it out so that copying into a zine is very easy.

BUT, I do think that overall, the old cut n paste method is the best. The first zine I ever did was all done with typewriter, markers, scissors and nearly a case of glue sticks.

The advantage to using the PC is that your master is flat and makes for easier "covert" copying at places like, say, your place of employment.
I (barely) use InDesign because of the double-sided feature. I am not that adept at it, but it works.
Yeah that's a good idea. Most of it is illustration though, this is the link to it on Etsy.
It's sort of half-zine, half sketch book.

Sarah Arr! said:
type it up in word and then use old school cut and paste.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service