We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Did anyone read the book "Story of the Treasure Seekers" by E Nesbit from 1906 when they were a kid? It was one of my favourites.

The Bastable children's mother has died, and their dad is so depressed that his business is going down the pan, and the family are slowly running out of money. The 6 children make various (unlikely) plans to find money, like divining under the floorboards, becoming highwaymen, etc and form a club for carrying them out. One of their plans is a newspaper, which is more of a zine really, typed by their next door neighbour. Of course it doesn't make them rich!

You can read the chapter here http://www.online-literature.com/edith-nesbit/story-of-the-treasure...

The whole book is online on the same site because the copyright is long expired.

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I loved that book! I forgot about the newspaper until now but you have made me want to re-read it together with all the E Nesbit books!
I was actually going to do a comp zine on re-reading favourite childhood books and writing about why you loved them then and what you think now... but I only ever got one contribution so it hasn't happened.
kate said:
I was actually going to do a comp zine on re-reading favourite childhood books and writing about why you loved them then and what you think now... but I only ever got one contribution so it hasn't happened.

OOps- yeah Kate I didn't ever get round to sending you my contibution did I? But I guess you're used to that by now coming from me!
There's still time! ;)

Made by Milla said:
kate said:
I was actually going to do a comp zine on re-reading favourite childhood books and writing about why you loved them then and what you think now... but I only ever got one contribution so it hasn't happened.

OOps- yeah Kate I didn't ever get round to sending you my contibution did I? But I guess you're used to that by now coming from me!
Maybe you should put a call out on here and see if you get more submissions. I have too many books to pick from, but I think I know which one i'm going for. I need to set myself some deadlines I think!
I would write something for it (not that you know me, but...;). are you still interested in doing it? since i have two kids a lot of what i do is revisit childhood favorite books...;) <3, katie
Katie, it would be awesome if you wrote something for it! It would be really interesting to have a parent's perspective. My email is patsydecline @ gmail.com if you want to get in touch or send me what you write.

Katie Kaput said:
I would write something for it (not that you know me, but...;). are you still interested in doing it? since i have two kids a lot of what i do is revisit childhood favorite books...;) <3, katie
Maybe we should start a whole Edwardian children's books thread since I am shocked by the revelation that L M Montgomery of Anne of Green Gables fame committed suicide (her granddaughter just went public about this to try to help destigmatise mental illness). I really want to read her diaries but they seem to be really hard to get (there are about 5 volumes and that's just the selected diaries!). I hope there is a reissue.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

 

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service