We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Going Postal -> Want to start a mail art exchange?

After 2 months of traveling I finally have an address and a mailbox. I also have a stack of 1970s McCall's Needlework & Crafts magazines that make ideal envelopes, after page upon page of crochet jumpsuit wearing models are torn out, folded, and adorned with a stamp leftover from Christmas.

Now, I could send away for magazine subscriptions and stand on the doorstep once a month, salivating over the mail carrier's appearance with the latest copy of Cabinet. But I'd rather be surprised by something handmade from you, in exchange for something cut-and-pasted from me.

Any takers?

**And for more on mail art, check out this essay by former Utne Reader librarian and mail art aficionado Chris Dodge.

Tags: Art, Mail

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's pretty hilarious that I'm posting this from the room next door!
SO IN!

I'll send you my mailing address if you can approve my friends request. All summer I have been running around doing activist events, and have kept my sanity by telling myself that this fall and winter will be CALM and CRAFT-filled!
I love mail! Send me stuff, I'll send back!

-billy-
PO Box 470507
Chicago, IL 60647-0507
absolutely! i love mail, and i love making little artsy things to send to others, so this sounds right up my alley. my address is:

Hannah
Box 7724
1001 E. University Ave.
Georgetown TX 78626
I don't know if I have ever really done mail art. I am a little confused if what is inside is supposed to be art too or just the outside? Anyway, count me in:

PonyBoy Press
po box 14613
Portland, OR 97293
I just read the article that you posted, I love your idea and would definitely want to be in on it :) I'm an artist, and am obsessed with getting/sending mail :)

Um... where is your address though? Am I allowed to send mail art to people that have commented on this list as well?
Thanks for your awesome answer, I'm glad that the scope is broad spectrum. Being a temperamental artists I don't follow rules too well :P

So in this case, I think I will send artworks measuring about the same dimensions as a normal envelope :)

sailor H said:
I think this would be FAB to send art mail bits around, if one is so inclined! I was chopping onions for soup and thought of this, as well! This is me giving consent to anyone sending me mail art!

Krissy Pony Boy Press---

Mail art can be interpreted lots of ways, just like zines. For me, a huge part of the experiment is seeing how the process of the postal system affects what's on the outside surfaces- a unique patina, if you will. I like to send big postcards made with fabric and paper because they're interesting and have more substance to grab than junk mail.

And I get a kick out of paying an extra 17 cents for the "non-machineable" fee!

Other folks out there:
How do YOU define mail art? (without giving away the zest behind your creations that we might see in the mail, of course!)

Emma Stronach said:
I just read the article that you posted, I love your idea and would definitely want to be in on it :) I'm an artist, and am obsessed with getting/sending mail :)

Um... where is your address though? Am I allowed to send mail art to people that have commented on this list as well?
Along the same lines, I joined sendsomething.net.
I wish more people would join! It seems fun!

http://www.sendsomething.net/hello/view?user_id=930
i like exchanging mail!

ashlee swanson
8150 w 30 1/2 st. #306
st. louis park, mn 55426
Great idea! Thanks for the link.

Grrrl Zines A-Go-Go said:
Along the same lines, I joined sendsomething.net.
I wish more people would join! It seems fun!

http://www.sendsomething.net/hello/view?user_id=930
I'm interested, I do mail art. Send me a private message if anyone wants to exchange mail art, postcards, etc.
Am I too late to get in on this? I love mail and I love being crafty and creative.

I was so lucky to be sent one of Sailor's postcards. It is soooooo lovely.

Anyway, anyone who sends me something will get something neat-o in return.

My address is this

Chantel G.
PO Box 1483
Lawrence, KS 66044

This is a good way to get myself to create! Thanks!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service