We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I like non-fiction, particularly those that describe how to do something. Some of my favourite zines in this category are CROQ (is that thing still printing?), Mixtape, and anything off Niku Arbabi. "Making Stuff and Doing Things" (though not really a zine) is all right too.

What other how-to zines would you recommend?

Tags: howto, recommendations, zines

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dwelling Portably for inspiration, although it had crap print and poor directions, I need full step by step instructions. Sadly, I find most how to zines to be lacking, from Soy, Not Oi! (the mother of all cooking zines) having some really bad recipes, to Stolen Sharpie Revolution pretty much covering the same stuff in "How to Publish a Fanzine" and what we've all written about and taught classes on over the years. Don't get me wrong, SSR is a great resource for new zinesters, but it's not exactly packed with new info and ideas. More often than not, the DIY concepts I see in zines have been explored better by hardcore hobbyists that have been working a craft for years, and those tend to come out as books rather than zines. Be it knitting, beer making, gardening or whatever. I am a big fan of that book Microcosm put out called "Make Your Place" with tons of DIY home tips from making your own cleaning supplies to gardening, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to call it a zine.
Would you have any recommendations for books by hardcore hobbyists like the ones you were mentioning?

Dan 10things said:
Dwelling Portably for inspiration, although it had crap print and poor directions, I need full step by step instructions. Sadly, I find most how to zines to be lacking, from Soy, Not Oi! (the mother of all cooking zines) having some really bad recipes, to Stolen Sharpie Revolution pretty much covering the same stuff in "How to Publish a Fanzine" and what we've all written about and taught classes on over the years. Don't get me wrong, SSR is a great resource for new zinesters, but it's not exactly packed with new info and ideas. More often than not, the DIY concepts I see in zines have been explored better by hardcore hobbyists that have been working a craft for years, and those tend to come out as books rather than zines. Be it knitting, beer making, gardening or whatever. I am a big fan of that book Microcosm put out called "Make Your Place" with tons of DIY home tips from making your own cleaning supplies to gardening, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to call it a zine.
they've been saying that for a very long time! :)

Jen Williams said:
Croq's etsy says #12 is on the way.
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6915
I made one recently about how to draft a fitted a-line skirt pattern for any body size/shape and sew it nicely.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service