We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I like non-fiction, particularly those that describe how to do something. Some of my favourite zines in this category are CROQ (is that thing still printing?), Mixtape, and anything off Niku Arbabi. "Making Stuff and Doing Things" (though not really a zine) is all right too.

What other how-to zines would you recommend?

Tags: howto, recommendations, zines

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's more a perzine than a how-to zine, though.

blackcarrot said:
"...How I Learned to Love Myself, and Occasionally Other Men."

best zine ever
Stolen Sharpie Revolution!
Serah-Marie said:
Stolen Sharpie Revolution!

the beginners guide to responsible sexuality" by the firestarter press, RESIST and the like.
DEFINATELY Mixtape, and Stolen Sharpie Revolution.
I mostly like the crafty 'how to' zines like Mixtape, that teach me how to make my own soap, paper or alter clothes.
I've got one about how to draft a custom skirt pattern to fit any size. Would you be up for trading something?

Cookie. said:
DEFINATELY Mixtape, and Stolen Sharpie Revolution.
I mostly like the crafty 'how to' zines like Mixtape, that teach me how to make my own soap, paper or alter clothes.
I second this.

Clementine Cannibal said:
cindy's DIY guide to fighting depression issue of doris.
I carry a zine called Skills at my distro that is pretty darn cool.. kind of a compilation about making different stuff like compost tea, knit dishrags, cheese, etc. Also, if you are looking for bicycle how-to the zine Resist has some good info. I carry that as well.

Click Clack Distro
What is going on with CROQ anyways? Are they gone? Anyone heard anything?
http://croqzine.com/

Looks like they last updated in Nov 2008. But their blog is active and current.

Serah-Marie said:
What is going on with CROQ anyways? Are they gone? Anyone heard anything?
Well, there's lots of cooking zines out there, especially with vegetarian / vegan recipes. Chainbreaker for bike repair. Radical Pet for holistic ways to take care of your pets.

On the crafty / make things side, I recommend Do It Yourself Screenprinting (which started as a zine but now is a book) and The Ms. Films DIY guide to film & video.
The absolute MOTHER of all DIY zines, is Dwelling Portably, started in 1980. But there were earlier ones, by Rayo. They're in the "vonu" subculture. Check out:

www.dwellingportably.blogspot.com

You can read a sample there. Bert & Holly only do p-mail. A friend put together the blogspot for them. (Although I don't think it's technically a blog.) Their physical address is on page 1 of their scanned zine, but they only mail out twice a year, so don't expect a quick reply. They're wilderness vonuans, and don't get to a city or maildrop often.

If you enjoy DIY zines, I think you'll like this one.
I third, since I read it on the bus this morning

Katie said:
I second this.

Clementine Cannibal said:
cindy's DIY guide to fighting depression issue of doris.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service