We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I didn't make PZS, so I'm starting a new discussion! What zines changed your life?

Like I said in another post, the late great Happy Goat, by Jason Simplot, totally changed my life, and got me "plugged in" to this whole world. So that's up there for me. Go Metric was another old favorite, that I think is still around. When I got to Chicago I discovered War Against the Idiots, Burn Collector, Safety Pin Girl, Loitering is Good, and a ton of others that helped me meet zine friends in real life (as opposed to pen pals, which was all I'd had previously). I'm Johnny and I don't Give a Fuck is great. Oh, there's a great zine out of California called All About Fuckin, which is totally perverted and great. So Midwest is one of the greatest/thickest zines of all time, and anything by Zach Sternwalker is great.

How bout you?

Views: 2964

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I loved I'M JOHNNY AND I DON'T GIVE A FUCK. Another one I loved just because it was so different from anything else was CRAIG KINGSBURY TALKIN'. It was basically a daughter printing stories either by or about her father Craig, who lived quite a remarkable life. i'm sure the zine is out of print, but you can get the book here.

http://www.amazon.com/Craig-Kingsbury-Talkin/dp/0976432293

Oh, and I also used to love THROWRUG.
i'd say the two most influential zines in my life have been "doris" and "brainscan." i can read them over and over and i find new things and they mean something different to me each time and they're just so awesome. i also love "playing victim" (i really wish brittany would make another zine already!), "culture slut", "thundercat!", "black carrot", "telegram ma'am" and so many others i just can't think of right now.

surprisingly, i hated "combetbus" the first time i read it, maybe five or six years ago? but then i picked the same issue back up a few years after that and liked it a lot more, and bought the book. i think i just wasn't ready for it or something...have you guys found that ever? that you'd dislike a zine but then looking back at it a few years later you finally appreciate it?
Playing Victim!!!

I just reread this last time I was home and was so excited to rediscover it.

I actually might be visiting Brittany this weekend. Whoo, Ohio zinesters!

Bri Zine said:
i'd say the two most influential zines in my life have been "doris" and "brainscan." i can read them over and over and i find new things and they mean something different to me each time and they're just so awesome. i also love "playing victim" (i really wish brittany would make another zine already!), "culture slut", "thundercat!", "black carrot", "telegram ma'am" and so many others i just can't think of right now.

surprisingly, i hated "combetbus" the first time i read it, maybe five or six years ago? but then i picked the same issue back up a few years after that and liked it a lot more, and bought the book. i think i just wasn't ready for it or something...have you guys found that ever? that you'd dislike a zine but then looking back at it a few years later you finally appreciate it?
it was such a good zine! i was in columbus last night for the ergs/delay/tin armor show and wanted to visit her but was unable to, but i may be seeing her later this month. lets get that girl making zines again!!

K. said:
Playing Victim!!!

I just reread this last time I was home and was so excited to rediscover it.

I actually might be visiting Brittany this weekend. Whoo, Ohio zinesters!
hummmm.. I mainly can quote brazilian zines, but, some foreign zines for me unforgetable was Assassin and the Whiner (marvelous!!!) the Ten Foot Rule zines (where´s Shawn Granton...?) and the finnish Muuna Takeenna...
Public Enema.
although i tried resisting it forever due to the popularity, the doris zines have truly blown me away. her candid yet sweet writing really puts the reader at ease, like you're reading a letter from a kind friend.

also, the eaves of ass series is pretty kick-ass. the writers style is at times painfully honest, he does not hold back from writing about things that are hard or ugly to look at. just a true blue writer with important things to say.
Here's my list of top 10 faves, neither definitive nor exhaustive:

* Maximum Rocknroll
* Cometbus
* Murder Can Be Fun
* Baby Split Bowling News
* Roctober
* Factsheet Five (first and second generation)
* Global Mail
* Comix World
* City Limits Gazette/White Buffalo Gazette
* Saprophile (only ever saw one issue, and it was a doozy!)
heres a few, ive got plenty more favourites though.

Hex #7
Chimps
Contrascience
Little Spanner
Cracks In The Wall #4
Nonesuch #2/Catharsis split issue
Smegma
Scenery
ohmigod! i've been looking for that zine forever! ironically, i gave my copy to my abuser :(
do you know where i can get a copy? or would you make me one if i sent you a few bucks?

redguard said:
The zine was called "Drop Dead: the zine of lesbian battering." It was written by an anonymous butch lesbian who was recovering from a relationship with an abusive femme partner. My brother Imani gave it to me several years ago just after I had escaped from an abusive partner. That zine helped me understand that it was okay for me to be angry and speak my truth and I didn't have to sacrifice being a radical and a feminist to do so (even though I am male and my ex-partner was female). It saved my life.
one of my favorite zines ever came out of florida in the mid 90's and it was called "libel" & done by a girl named jenna. i wonder what happened to her?

also:

*doris (duh)
*the urban hermitt
*i still believe (in fire)
*outpunk (old school!)
*hirsteria
*allium, and most things liz has made
*chainbreaker
*emergency (esp. #4!!)

etc! oh, i could go on (and on and on)
"stoked on spokes"
is the first one that comes to mind. thanks for the contributions 'all! i can look up these titles at mctc where there's a zine section in there library. - c.g.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service