We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I didn't make PZS, so I'm starting a new discussion! What zines changed your life?

Like I said in another post, the late great Happy Goat, by Jason Simplot, totally changed my life, and got me "plugged in" to this whole world. So that's up there for me. Go Metric was another old favorite, that I think is still around. When I got to Chicago I discovered War Against the Idiots, Burn Collector, Safety Pin Girl, Loitering is Good, and a ton of others that helped me meet zine friends in real life (as opposed to pen pals, which was all I'd had previously). I'm Johnny and I don't Give a Fuck is great. Oh, there's a great zine out of California called All About Fuckin, which is totally perverted and great. So Midwest is one of the greatest/thickest zines of all time, and anything by Zach Sternwalker is great.

How bout you?

Views: 2851

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

do not file under manifesto!
The first zine I ever read was an issue of a zine called Navel Gazing, and it was pretty spectacular.
I loved Heart Attack when it was still around.
The most recent zine to totally blow me away was Eaves of Ass #6
I will give the most generic answer ever... but i mean it in my heart of hearts and it changed my life forever... i was never the same after i read an issue of Cometbus at the age of 15.
Ditto.

NicoleIntrovert said:
I will give the most generic answer ever... but i mean it in my heart of hearts and it changed my life forever... i was never the same after i read an issue of Cometbus at the age of 15.
The zine was called "Drop Dead: the zine of lesbian battering." It was written by an anonymous butch lesbian who was recovering from a relationship with an abusive femme partner. My brother Imani gave it to me several years ago just after I had escaped from an abusive partner. That zine helped me understand that it was okay for me to be angry and speak my truth and I didn't have to sacrifice being a radical and a feminist to do so (even though I am male and my ex-partner was female). It saved my life.
subject to change by toby. i wonder if he will ever make another zine.
Thrift Score, wich I read in anthology form. Totally changed my life.
thrift score is classic! That got to be big enough to affect non-zinesters as well!

Serah-Marie said:
Thrift Score, wich I read in anthology form. Totally changed my life.
aMy leigh said:
do not file under manifesto!

Yes, definitely! & also, I dreamed I was Assertive, Girl Swirl, Not Sorry, Brainscan, Nothing Rhymes & Oh January, Safety Pin Girl, and probably many more I can't think of right now.
<3
Aw, thanks Violet for mentioning my zine!

My favorite zine of all time was Three A.m. I love how the words and photocopy images worked together. I also loved me some Cometbus ( I hear there is a new issue out!?) Burn Collector, Doris, and Factsheet 5 was always a great gateway to more!

When it comes down to it though, most of the zines I treasure the most are the ones that my friends do. Over the years it feels like I have collected bits of them.
Three A.M. was so awesome. I wish Lisa was still creating zines.

I also LOVED In Abandon.

Alex Wrekk said:

My favorite zine of all time was Three A.m. I love how the words and photocopy images worked together. I also loved me some Cometbus ( I hear there is a new issue out!?) Burn Collector, Doris, and Factsheet 5 was always a great gateway to more!

When it comes down to it though, most of the zines I treasure the most are the ones that my friends do. Over the years it feels like I have collected bits of them.
i also loved three a.m.

Alex Wrekk said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service