We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I didn't make PZS, so I'm starting a new discussion! What zines changed your life?

Like I said in another post, the late great Happy Goat, by Jason Simplot, totally changed my life, and got me "plugged in" to this whole world. So that's up there for me. Go Metric was another old favorite, that I think is still around. When I got to Chicago I discovered War Against the Idiots, Burn Collector, Safety Pin Girl, Loitering is Good, and a ton of others that helped me meet zine friends in real life (as opposed to pen pals, which was all I'd had previously). I'm Johnny and I don't Give a Fuck is great. Oh, there's a great zine out of California called All About Fuckin, which is totally perverted and great. So Midwest is one of the greatest/thickest zines of all time, and anything by Zach Sternwalker is great.

How bout you?

Views: 2915

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It was one those great old everything-but-the-kitchen-sink zines of old. Like Brutarian or Shat Upon or a less music based Carbon 14. Multiple contributors. I really miss that style.

kitty magic said:
i've often wondered what was in that zine!!!! i've only ever seen an old advert for it

Craven Rock said:
Mommy and I Are One
cometbus, truetoyou, mike giants zines, and zippo

Outpunk

Action Girl Newsletter (and Kiki Zine)

Girl Germs

Teenage Gang Debs

Action Teen

Function

Gunk

Sticky Fingers

All the Xerox Revolutionaries stuff

Thrill!

Boy Food

Fagorama

So many others...

Oops, I meant Fanorama.

Don said:

Fagorama

baby sue got me into zines, or at least was a portal into them... Flatter amazed me, chuck helped open my mind, Craphound showed me how polished ones could still be good, great writing as well, reasonably martian's was so fun, and so raw, shark fear, shark awareness showed how funny and scary obsessions could be, and farm pulp was Amazin image and writing wise scary and beautee-ful at the same time:)

My zine, Musea started the first Zine Hall of Fame. This covers many of the best from the 90's golden era. See more at http://zinewiki.com/Musea_Zine_Hall_of_Fame

Soundchoice was great. Op too. Long ago, 80's-90's. Op later mutated into Tape Op, but was totally different back then. I miss Slug & Lettuce, too.

Do you know where I could find another print of this? I've looked it up but I can't seem to find it anywhere, sounds really good.

redguard said:

The zine was called "Drop Dead: the zine of lesbian battering." It was written by an anonymous butch lesbian who was recovering from a relationship with an abusive femme partner. My brother Imani gave it to me several years ago just after I had escaped from an abusive partner. That zine helped me understand that it was okay for me to be angry and speak my truth and I didn't have to sacrifice being a radical and a feminist to do so (even though I am male and my ex-partner was female). It saved my life.

Probably Factsheet Five.It was the first time I got reviewed,and my first stab at networking.

Elephant Mess

I'm thinking "there were others that had impact on me too...." but I can't remember the titles so maybe they didn't really have that much impact. If I can't even remember the title.

Death of a Psyche, Brainscan, Rebel in Magenta....These were all favorites for years. I have others but I'd have to go look through my zine collection to remember their titles. My favorite recent zine that I read was Self Care For Zinesters. It's probably one of the few non-perzines I've really loved. 

I found this address online for Drop Dead: the zine of lesbian battering. 

Drop Dead, Box 28733, Seattle WA 98118 

I've no idea if it will still be an active postbox but may be worth sending a postcard or note to find out? 

Sup Strupp said:

Do you know where I could find another print of this? I've looked it up but I can't seem to find it anywhere, sounds really good.

redguard said:

The zine was called "Drop Dead: the zine of lesbian battering." It was written by an anonymous butch lesbian who was recovering from a relationship with an abusive femme partner. My brother Imani gave it to me several years ago just after I had escaped from an abusive partner. That zine helped me understand that it was okay for me to be angry and speak my truth and I didn't have to sacrifice being a radical and a feminist to do so (even though I am male and my ex-partner was female). It saved my life.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service