We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I didn't make PZS, so I'm starting a new discussion! What zines changed your life?

Like I said in another post, the late great Happy Goat, by Jason Simplot, totally changed my life, and got me "plugged in" to this whole world. So that's up there for me. Go Metric was another old favorite, that I think is still around. When I got to Chicago I discovered War Against the Idiots, Burn Collector, Safety Pin Girl, Loitering is Good, and a ton of others that helped me meet zine friends in real life (as opposed to pen pals, which was all I'd had previously). I'm Johnny and I don't Give a Fuck is great. Oh, there's a great zine out of California called All About Fuckin, which is totally perverted and great. So Midwest is one of the greatest/thickest zines of all time, and anything by Zach Sternwalker is great.

How bout you?

Views: 2656

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Neurones - a local music/punk zine, the first I ever read (and the first I write something for)

BurnVanBurn - the first non music zine I read, that's when I understand zine weren't just about music

Désurbanisme - a post-situationnist zine on housing and urbanism

God Loves You Without Condoms - a comp zine made by my friends from the Rising Dead Boys. it makes me want to write stuff again

Stolen Sharpie Revolution - actually not really a zine but I read it almost at the same time as the zine above and it introduced me to the north america huge zine scene.

Fight Boredom - all I ever wanted to read in a zine. well, now I do a fightboredom-like zine I guess.
yeah, fuzzy heads are better and doris. factsheet five. caboose. s/he's got labe. melt the snow. dishwasher. and all the insanely inspired religious tracts people have traded me for my zines.

aMy leigh said:
vena cava!!

oh and ditto on the 'doris' and 'keep loving keep fighting' mentions. also adding 'ghost pine', 'fuzzy heads are better', 'no apologies', 'dead texas', 'resist', 'evolution of a race riot', 'emergency', and 'no snow here' to the pile.
I wouldn't say they changed my life, but two zines I really loved and miss a lot:

Bummers and Gummers: this account of life on a collective farm in Oregon was such a great read. Goat-raising, bike-powered cider presses, home-made festivals, gardens. The writing was engaging, there were great photos, Loki had a terrific sense of humor, this bunch made going back to the land a total kick.

Transom: I relished every issue of this excellent librarian zine out of Seattle. Loved trading with her and her wry takes on library patrons and books.
Whatever happened to Vena Cava? That was one of my favorites.

Lower Forty Eight said:
Broken Hipster - Emiko has an incredible story that makes grateful.

Vena Cava - Patrice is my homey from Alaska, and her zine shreds ass.

Brutally Morbid Axe of Satan - Really....funny shit.

Modest Proposal - I laughed out loud so much that I woke the babies, and was sent to the couch. Ryan rules so hard it isn't even funny....or, yeah.

Slug and Lettuce - I've been reading it for over 15 years, and it's always good. Christine works her ass off.

Yeah!!
Let's see.

Long Gone:
Mommy and I Are One
Breathing Ice Tea Mix
Wow Cool! (this was a funny ass zine. I only had one issue and never heard from it again)
Punk Planet (when it was still covering punk)

Status Unknown:
Slug and Lettuce
Emergency
Vena Cava
Antipathy (my favorite zine, so fucking good!)

Still around:
Doris
Cometbus
Nerf Jihad
Fish With Legs
Mishap
Carrots and Condoms
Resume of Charm
Big Hands
"Vaselina" is the zine that got me into this world: a small, stapled bunch of absurd comic strips. I have to say that comic zines are much more frequent in Spain that any other kind of zine, so they are the usual way to start doing zines.
Off topic, but speaking of Carrots and Condoms: any idea what's up with that zine lately? I've heard so many great things and always wanted to read it, but never got anything back when we did a trade... anyone know if they can be purchased on Etsy or through any distros right now? I want to see the greatness. :(

Craven Rock said:
Let's see.

Long Gone:
Mommy and I Are One
Breathing Ice Tea Mix
Wow Cool! (this was a funny ass zine. I only had one issue and never heard from it again)
Punk Planet (when it was still covering punk)

Status Unknown:
Slug and Lettuce
Emergency
Vena Cava
Antipathy (my favorite zine, so fucking good!)

Still around:
Doris
Cometbus
Nerf Jihad
Fish With Legs
Mishap
Carrots and Condoms
Resume of Charm
Big Hands
i've often wondered what was in that zine!!!! i've only ever seen an old advert for it

Craven Rock said:
Mommy and I Are One

Tim tum: a trans jew zine.

it's had the biggest impact on me of any zine i've yet read.i love this zine so much i took it with me when i went to get my wisdom teeth pulled under anaesthesia. after i woke up i threw up on it some.i had to make some alterations to make it look less vomity but i still have it.

but close followups in favorites are sunshines underground 7,  trannypunx 8, and fag school 1. the first zine to make an impact on me was my own, and i'm not sure i knew what a zine was when i made it. i just wanted to make my own magazine. it was kind of a rekindling of the joy i had as a kid publishing  a newsletter on a monthly basis for my three-person household. it was doubtless a valuable asset to its readers, my parents.

I wonder too... it's an old subliminal message that was documented to help people with a huge range of problems. what snippets i've seen from the zine itself seem unrelated to that.

kitty magic said:
i've often wondered what was in that zine!!!! i've only ever seen an old advert for it

Craven Rock said:
Mommy and I Are One
This, this, this!

Ericka Bailie-Byrne said:
All time favorite: That Girl by Kelli Williams

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service