We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

DID YOU GO TO A ZINE FEST OR DO YOU PLAN TO???

If so I would love to have you come on ZINECORE RADIO and talk about it!

I wanna have a zine fest review show!

get in touch!!!!!!!!

zinecoreradio@gmail.com

Tags: radio, zinecore

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hum, here in Brazil we barely have a Zine meeting,.. the most common is the Anime Meetings, with some tiny zine fairs. these days didn´t have many things about it.. if I know something about it, I´ll tell you! cheers from Rio de Janeiro!
I had a table at the TINA zine fair this year (This Is Not Art, Newcastle), can tell you about the zine Library at Octapod too, we're cataloguing it, am so very excited.

I have a microphone I can hook into my computer if that helps, been recording stuff for my art podcast.
I went to Philly, but didn't get to go to RVA because SARS and pneumonia were busy making phlegm babies in my lungs. I went to RVA last year, though. Both were good, good times.
I had a stall at the London Zine Symposium 08
why is "boys only/girls only" things sexist???
AndrewLips said:
Well there arn't many in the UK but I think I just missed one in Leeds :( so next year. The other one was a girls only one in London which I personally find totally sexist. I hate "boys only/girls only" things so much.
oh i would LOVE if you recorded yourself answering some questions i send you
and then sending me the mp3 to play on the show ...y aknow just talking
about the event, etc. would u be down with that??? xoxoxox
i so wish i could have gone to that. it sounded amazing.

Emma Stronach said:
I had a table at the TINA zine fair this year (This Is Not Art, Newcastle), can tell you about the zine Library at Octapod too, we're cataloguing it, am so very excited.

I have a microphone I can hook into my computer if that helps, been recording stuff for my art podcast.
I don't think women-only spaces are sexist. I think there provide a valuable space for women living in the male dominated world where they have to fight to be heard, to be taken seriously, to be given the space to speak. They provide an escape from the unquestioned male privilege that often makes women feel that even if they were able to contribute to a discussion, they would be talked over. We don't need a specific "boy-only" army camp trip, or football game to remind us that women-only spaces are worth fighting for, living in a patriarchy is a constant reminder. I'd really hope that you wouldn't see women-only spaces as a pointed effort to make you feel excluded, but rather recognise their necessity for some women in this male-dominated world.

I wasn't aware of a women-only zinefest in the uk this past year. I know sometimes workshops or discussion groups at those sorts of events are women-only, but usually in recognition of the nature of the subject matter... My advice if you don't like the way things are being organised , and it genuinely was a women-only zinefest (?!) is set up your own alternative! Seriously. Find a venue, contact your favourite distros, favourite zine writers, invite them down and make it happen.

We had a table at the Manchester zinefest this summer, and the manchester zinefest two summers before that. I've also been to some pretty cool zinefests in London, both the zine symposium and another at the Women's library. I've toyed with the idea of doing one in Leeds (don't think there's been one in a while), maybe now's the time to start planning!

AndrewLips said:
What if there was a football game or an army camp trip but girls wern't allowed?

Also I relate 110% more to girls than to boys. So 'girls only' things make me feel like i'm not accepted anywhere.

maybe its more of a personal issue, i dunno.

Hannah Neurotica said:
why is "boys only/girls only" things sexist???
AndrewLips said:
Well there arn't many in the UK but I think I just missed one in Leeds :( so next year. The other one was a girls only one in London which I personally find totally sexist. I hate "boys only/girls only" things so much.
For sure, I can do that, no worries at all ;) I really like your podcast too, just had a listen.

Hannah Neurotica said:
oh i would LOVE if you recorded yourself answering some questions i send you
and then sending me the mp3 to play on the show ...y aknow just talking
about the event, etc. would u be down with that??? xoxoxox
i so wish i could have gone to that. it sounded amazing.

Emma Stronach said:
I had a table at the TINA zine fair this year (This Is Not Art, Newcastle), can tell you about the zine Library at Octapod too, we're cataloguing it, am so very excited.

I have a microphone I can hook into my computer if that helps, been recording stuff for my art podcast.
I;d be happy to do the same thing if you like ..
that would be wonderful! please please do :) zinecoreradio@gmail.com
Emma Jane Falconer said:
I;d be happy to do the same thing if you like ..
Manifesta Distro said:
I've toyed with the idea of doing one in Leeds (don't think there's been one in a while), maybe now's the time to start planning!

Emily, we should totally do this. Maybe when we're both a bit less snowed under, but yes, lets!!
a bunch of us on here just attended/participated at/organized DIYnot? zine fair in kitchener-waterloo and canzine in toronto. both in ontario, canada.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

 

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service