We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

What do you guys / did you guys think about the Zine Wiki site? (If not familiar: it was a wiki dedicated to zines, with pages on specific zines, publishers, and distros, plus some article reprints.)

I know some people thought it had flaws, but I thought it was a great resource, and I'm still a bit sad that it was never resurrected after being hacked. I have thought about contacting Fall of Autumn/Alan to see if they might turn it over to the care of Zine World, to see if we could reconstruct it or if not, start it over... but I know I can't really spare the time myself to do the work.

Just curious: Does anyone else think it would be worth it? Does anyone else want to see it up and running again?

Tags: wiki, zines

Views: 42

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think a public database or wiki of zines and related projects would be totally cool. It's easy enough to start a PBWiki or somesuch, or we could just be active contributors to Wikipedia. The idea's got legs!
That's the way I feel, too. I don't know if they had a backup of the database, so it could be restored, but even if it got started from scratch, having the domain would be essential. I've just sort of be thinking that if I could get it restarted, maybe I could get my partner to work on the database wiki coding side of thing, and then everyone could contribute to the content like they did before.

Joe Biel said:
That shit was totally rad!

I really miss it. I feel like I never even cracked the surface of the sheer volume of information that was contained there.

I thought it was such a brilliant resource and it's such a bummer that it's been kind of left by the wayside. I think it is definitely worth ressurrecting.

Based on a conversation with his former partner-in-crime, Aaron, I think Alan kind of left zines in the dust--but at the same time it seems like zinewiki is too cool to leave in the dust!
Sounds like a lovely idea, count me in.
I think in theory I think zinewiki is a great idea. To me it seems like Zine World working on it makes me sense than someone who runs a distro.
I liked the Zinewiki. It'd be cool to see it resurrected!
Agreed 110%.

However... Good luck getting in touch with Alan to get it turned over. We had to give up on the Richmond Zine Fest site being turned over to us after months of him ignoring emails.

I am a bit bitter about that, can you tell?

I think Zine World is exactly who should be running that resource. Folks that are totally into zines for the long haul with a long histroy, who will give a fair nod to everyone in the community.

Alex Wrekk said:
I think in theory I think zinewiki is a great idea. To me it seems like Zine World working on it makes me sense than someone who runs a distro.
I do have a backup of the entire database. I've contacted numerous wiki users trying to find help in restoring the site, it's just above what I know how to code. If you know anyone who has wiki experience (and I don't mean just editing wikipedia, I mean installing and importing MySQL databases) please have them contact me: alan-at-fallofautumn.com

I'd love more than anyone to see the resource back, I spent months helping to build it with a few other dedicated others.
agreement!

NicoleIntrovert said:
Agreed 110%.

However... Good luck getting in touch with Alan to get it turned over. We had to give up on the Richmond Zine Fest site being turned over to us after months of him ignoring emails.

I am a bit bitter about that, can you tell?

I think Zine World is exactly who should be running that resource. Folks that are totally into zines for the long haul with a long histroy, who will give a fair nod to everyone in the community.

Alex Wrekk said:
I had contributed loads of articles to Zinewiki on obscure Irish zines, British zines and even some American ones that I had gotten into in my time. The list of Irish zines grew to something like 35-40 with all the searching I was doing. For loads of them I made sure there was an illustration and I particularly worked on zines with lino or screen printed covers. I couldn't be bothered doing all that research again, I just wouldn't know where to start, so it'd be great if the back up database of it got back into action.
oh wow, it's good to stumble across this discussion! i have been trying for a while to get zinewiki resuscitated via alt.zines, photocopied heart and good old-fashioned emails. i didn't get very far at all, but i'm also really interested to get it resurrected. i agree with loserdom, it just wouldn't make sense to start from scratch, we need to get the database up again. there really was loads of good stuff on it.

so .. who knows someone with the MySQL skills? im certainly going to ask around.. jerianne could your partner do it?
Alan and I are talking it over to see if we can work together to sort it out. Will definitely keep you all posted!
I shall point andrew culture in the direction of this thread...I'm not sure if he could help or not!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service