We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

What is the consensus on photocopying zines?

What is the consensus on photocopying a zine you really loved for a friend?

I've occasionally wanted to do this but have stopped short every time.
The conditions I envisage are that:

(a) the zine is sold out;
(b) the zine is out of print;
(c) the zine maker's contact details net no response when you contact them re availability or for permission;
(d) it's a zine you don't want to give away because it's so good;
(e) a zine you're nervous about lending out in case it doesn't make it back to you (which can happen for a whole host of reasons; your friend is not greedy or sly!);
(f) you do not charge your friend (or anyone) for copying it for them.

What's your stance on the topic? Are there variables I've omitted that make any difference? Does copyright come into it? Is there an unspoken consensus on this that I've never unearthed in 20+ years of reading zines?!

I'm really curious to hear what people think about this.

- lofipi -

Tags: consensus, contact, copy, copyright, details, friends, maker, of, out, permission, More…photocopy, print, sold, zine, zines

Views: 300

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gianni Simone said:
In my opinion, if the zine maker feels so strongly against his or her zine being photocopied, given away, etc. he/she should clearly write it in the zine. I've always thought that zines were copyleft, but if a zine maker prefers to extend the copyright laws to his/her publications, I need to know.

I wouldn't assume anything's copyleft unless it's explicitly identified as such.
Maranda Elizabeth said:
Oh, and for all those who think copyright should be stated in zines if we do not want others copying them: ALL my zines are copyrighted.

that's fucking brilliant then. that's great. if you read my posts at the back in this thread you'd see that's my point exactly.
Definitely Heath. I would think it's safe to say DONT COPY unless it says YOU CAN.... instead of the other way around.

Heath Row said:
Gianni Simone said:
In my opinion, if the zine maker feels so strongly against his or her zine being photocopied, given away, etc. he/she should clearly write it in the zine. I've always thought that zines were copyleft, but if a zine maker prefers to extend the copyright laws to his/her publications, I need to know.

I wouldn't assume anything's copyleft unless it's explicitly identified as such.
Hey, Maranda - thanks for elucidating. I really appreciate that. I totally understand why you'd want finite cessation of a no-longer-relevant zine. I've often said "you've gotta know when to leave" (usually about gigs where the dregs linger, too drunk to care - or about parties that have died in the arse, admittedly...) and it stands me in good stead when wrapping things up and moving on. Acting according to your own instincts is key in so many aspects of life - not just re zinemaking - whether you feel like explaining yourself or not. I hope you didn't feel like you had to 'justify' your take on it to me. I just want to understand the various opinions people have rather than assume everyone's the same as me, that's all. I'm slightly surprised no one's commented on my (kinda tongue-in-cheek) subject header for this discussion: as if there could ever really be 'consensus' with such a large, diverse group of people, never mind the outer periphery of the 'group' who don't want any part in 'groupdom'.... Ah, I could crap on and on but I won't. Thanks again.

Maranda Elizabeth said:
lofipi - I am a very different person than I was when I began writing zines, and much of what I wrote in the past is now completely irrelevent to me, and no longer something I wish to share. The thought of someone copying my zines doesn't sit well with me because I don't want those past zines out there as a representation of who I am when I am no longer that girl. They were a moment in time, and now it's over.
Oh my good gracious. WHOOSH!

Toodles, poodles.
Really? I find this whole discussion rather amazing. People want to photocopy other people's zines? Wow. I can't even get most people to read the ones i put out let alone the old ones. Maybe I am doing something wrong.
It would be a crappy photocopy, but I don't see anythign wrong with it given these guidelines
unless a zinester gives permission in their zine explicitly that it's ok to copy, i would not copy it. find a copy somewhere online. when in doubt, ask permission. though if you can't get with them... i dunno. i think i would be kinda annoyed if someone broke down my zines and copied them. i put a lot of work into those things!
This is one of the oldest forums in WeMakeZines, and it's been by far one of the more interesting. At this point (well, from page 2 or 3 to be precise) we can say that there are people who agree and people who desagree on photocopying. There are no written rules, but many different approaches and attitudes. For an example, have a look at another forum ("Old Zines We Wish We Could Find") and see for yourself.
And by the way: I here declare that you can do whatever you want with my zines.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service