We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Someone recently told me that if you're mailing an envelope with a metal clasp, it is considered a 'large envelope' (according to the new rate scheme), even if is 'letter' size. In other words, USPS will charge you the more expensive rate. Anyone have this happen to them?

Tags: mail

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I heard something of the same, Jerianne. I am curious if anyone else has, as well.

I now wish i could remember where i read that info. Maybe i will do a little research during downtime today.

If i recall correctly it has something to do with the clasp being non-machineable.
I decided to test this out, so I mailed myself a clasp-closed small envelope. It got to me fine with the 'letter rate' postage on it -- no nonmachinable surcharge, no postage due. Since clasps are supposed to make an envelope considered nonmachinable (and therefore subject to the surcharge), I guess this is another case of mail rules being unequally applied.
I tried to research this and came up with nothing. Though i swear i'd seen it somewhere before. I mail A LOT with clasp envelopes... but a lot of times they are unmachineable anyway because of their thickness so i pay extra without the concern of the clasp.

Jerianne said:
I decided to test this out, so I mailed myself a clasp-closed small envelope. It got to me fine with the 'letter rate' postage on it -- no nonmachinable surcharge, no postage due. Since clasps are supposed to make an envelope considered nonmachinable (and therefore subject to the surcharge), I guess this is another case of mail rules being unequally applied.
If that happens I think the issue is it's being considered "non-machinable" (and that will sometimes depend on the clerk's judgment). Basically, these days anything they think can't be automatically processed through their machinery gets an extra surcharge -- for the human handling, I guess.
Whenever I bring something up to the counter with a metal clasp, the clerks always charge me the "large envelope" rate. Being the tightwad that I am, I pull off the metal clasps from all envelopes before I mail them. Envelopes without metal clasps seem harder to find around here.
Chantel G. said:
Whenever I bring something up to the counter with a metal clasp, the clerks always charge me the "large envelope" rate. Being the tightwad that I am, I pull off the metal clasps from all envelopes before I mail them. Envelopes without metal clasps seem harder to find around here.

Yeah, I find that the clasp doesn't do a whole lot of good to begin with and I always tape it shut anyways so if this is true I think this is a good strategy. These rules wouldn't be so maddening if they were applied consistently and not at the whims of the postal worker.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service