We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I thought there should be a thread for people starting comp zines to discuss them plus maybe look for contributions for new ones - although they might want to start their own threads for that!

Tags: comp

Views: 7

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What exactly is meant by a comp zine? Only I think Attack!!!! might be one. But I'm not sure...
Sounds like a good idea to me, I love collaborative work ;)
Okay I think from the meagre attempts at definitions I can find on Google that Attack!!!! is a compzine.

Here is where submission details for Attack!!!! are, if anyone's looking:

http://www.ecartilage.co.uk/response.htm

I don't accept everything I'm sent but do consider anything providing it's written with the above in mind.

I'm especially interested in formal experimentation, will accept text in any language (but will need an English translation), and am keen to feature more visual material.

Any questions please let me know.
I think of comp zines as being stuff by different zine writers on one subject, pretty much anything, e.g. Philadelphia, abortion. I did a comp zine on mothers and body image but didn't get enough contributions to do the second issue.

Wes White said:
What exactly is meant by a comp zine? Only I think Attack!!!! might be one. But I'm not sure...
yeah, a comp zine is a zine with a specific theme, which solicits people to contribute writing/artwork/whatever based around that theme. for example, the "mine" anthologies were about abortion. "the worst" anthology is about death. "evolution of a race riot" was about race & ethnicity. a comp zine is different from an unthemed zine comprised of pieces by several different writers. it sounds like "attack!!!" is more just a zine, which maybe has a loose theme as issues progress, but is not a comp in the traditional sense.
So, could we do a zine on a very simple theme that can be interpreted in a zillion different ways, this group I mean?

Restraining myself from saying "beauty" because that has been done oh so many times, but something nice anyway. I've been hanging around a lot of artists lately, am frequently the only person w. earing colourful clothes... other than black and darque. I've never been very good at introspection... so I'm honestly just a bit sick of deep and meaningful.

That's bad isn't it

ciaraxyerra said:
yeah, a comp zine is a zine with a specific theme, which solicits people to contribute writing/artwork/whatever based around that theme. for example, the "mine" anthologies were about abortion. "the worst" anthology is about death. "evolution of a race riot" was about race & ethnicity. a comp zine is different from an unthemed zine comprised of pieces by several different writers. it sounds like "attack!!!" is more just a zine, which maybe has a loose theme as issues progress, but is not a comp in the traditional sense.
Basic question, but I need to know! Does 'comp' stand for 'compilation'? How do you find a compzine to take part in? I'd love to take part in one.
yeah, comp stands for compilation.

when people are putting together comps, they will sometimes post here or on the zine-themed communities on LJ or they'll make flyers to pass around or mention what they're working on in their personal zines, etc etc. you basically just have to keep your ear to ground & your eyes peeled for a call for submissions on a topic you are interested in.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service